The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a LARGE gun store yesterday & noticed something I'd never seen before.
They had about a dozen M1A's up on the rack - - some with wood stocks & some with synthetic stocks. As far as I know they were all Springfield's.
I noticed that three of the wood stock models did not have the gas vent hole in the bottom of the front of the stock. All the rest of them did (as does mine). I thought all M1A's had that vent hole.
I asked the young man behind the counter, but he didn't have a CLUE what I was talking about. He just wanted to sell me one.
What's the deal? Aren't they all supposed to overpressure thru that vent so ya don't kill the op rod?

As a sidenote - - - they are now selling for $2600 bucks now as opposed to the $1600 I paid a few years ago. I guess that must be the new Obummer price!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
wow, nice price! ouch....

the hole is to vent uneeded gas, once the piston gets to that point, more movement is not needed and excess gas/pressure gets vented.

I thought I knew it all about this gun until I went over to the M14 forums, holy smokes there's a ton more to learn about these guns, never cease to amaze me. Very easy to work on, price of parts/upgrades/the gun itself are just insane is all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts