The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend who picked a M1A awhile back and got a bore light stuck awhile back asked me if could help sight in his scope on it . He thought scope was bad cause the knob broke off trying to sight it in and Leupold fixed it and sent it back to him . He has less scope experience then me . Well I met him at the range he shoots this afternoon . (note to self don't agree to help friends late afternoon with heat index 106*F under a metal roof ) . I brought a big piece of paper and put it up just in case any issues . Strapped lead sled down and got scope centered at bullseye at maybe 20 yards . Nothing on paper after a few shots . Finally got something aiming bottom of paper , POI was top of paper . Tried to adjust scope but ran out of adjustments . Shoots good enough groups just a foot high at 20 yards . Again I don't mess with scopes much but what I have I started close like that then moved out once had decent group . We couldn't get on the 100 yard range to test anything if maybe with this rifle it's going to be like this close but would shoot at point of aim at 100 . The heat was getting both of us so after no room on 100 decided to call it a day . We shot pistols to kill time waiting on 100 yard . He also had got a Springfield Garrison 1911 45 stainless . Sweet to say least ! The scope is a Leopold VX-FREEDOM 3-9X40 , 1" tube , hunt-plex rectude . The mount is Sadlak aluminum M1A mount . I believe the rings are a low rise type .
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Plant Shotgun
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Plant Motor vehicle Bumper Gas
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I remember hearing something about the height of the scope rings effecting some rifles getting sighted in but not sure what low rings vs taller ones differ or would do . That was my first thought . I didn't look at the mount very close while there and will let him know might recheck it to see maybe if it's possible it might be unlevel . I will check also on how his is mounted to see if it's possible to not do it right . Some I know they can only be put on one way . I am not sure if his is a clamp on type or tapped and secured by screws and also ask Sadlak about it .

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking at one picture it looks almost the magnification knob is touching the rail ......Probably just the angle , Wish I had the rifle with me .

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep I pulled the mount up and also watched the owner of it doing a install video and suggested to Tom about starting all over and watching the video . Can't remember if was the owner or somewhere else on this about being sure to tighten the scope from front to rear cause some did have issues with high hits if don't . If that don't hope may suggest the shimming . A few had to do that . Told Tom to be sure and check the slot and things for any burrs . He checked the adjustment knob I thought was close or rubbing the rail in a picture and he said looked to be 1/64" clearance .

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Talked and not text with Tom finally . I forgot he had someone put the mount on for him . I remember something about him asking if I had gunsmith torq wrenches few weeks back and that was why . I told him me and him could track this down ourselves in time but also he might call the gunsmith he had mount the mount for him (Tom put the scope rings and scope on himself ) and be sure to explain about running out of adjustment with him . Tom was ok with removing the scope and rings but is worried about the torq part with the mount . So will wait and hear what he finds out on Friday .

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks . Yes did watch that video . I put up about 40"x32" piece of paper and finally after aiming at very bottom edge of paper got hits at top edge of paper . I checked screws sorta .. Grabbed scope with my hand and gave it a wiggle . Seemed ok that way and also put the allen wrentch on the screws to see if felt snug and hadn't backed out .

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agree 32" is a bit much !!!! When ran out of adjustment it was maybe 10-12" still off . When I finally got hits on paper I thought to myself that's long way ! It's got to be not sitting right someway and pulling everything off and checking it all then putting back on would probably fix it but I don't have it here and it's not mine and he don't want to take the mount off himself cause his concerns on torquing them back down .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts