The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this Springfield M1A Scout from a friend for a little cash and a 2100 rounds of 9mm ammo. Always wanted one, neat little rifle, I like the 18" barrel vs the full length version. My only issue was I really wanted a walnut stock and this one came from the factory with the polymer stock. Did come with two 20 rd mags as well as the factory mag. Yikes, the mags for these are pricey, need to pick up a couple more before they are outlawed.
20201129_163434.jpg

So that is easily remedied, found and ordered a nice new walnut stock with all hardware and also ordered a Sig Romeo5 Red Dot. The red dot has a nice auto On/Off function that works when the rifle is moved, it senses vibration. Told my wife didnt really need anything for Christmas, this pretty much covered it :)
20201223_105758-1.jpg

Now I just need to figure out a final finish to add to the stock, to give it a bit of protection and bring out the wood grain
20201223_110325.jpg

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
Looks like one of those 'salt rifles. That is some nice wood! The small mag looks out of place on a '14.... The Springfield M1A mags are pricey - but worth it. Beware of the after marker made-in-China mags. Don't waste your money on them - buy a Springfield mag or an authentic 20 rounder GI MILSURP mag. You will be glad you did. I got the 'basic load' for my rack grade M1A - 5 mags. Handy if you can find a bandoleer or two with the strippers and mag chargers.

Enjoy that rifle! May end up being your favorite.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
[
Picked up this Springfield M1A Scout from a friend for a little cash and a 2100 rounds of 9mm ammo. Always wanted one, neat little rifle, I like the 18" barrel vs the full length version. My only issue was I really wanted a walnut stock and this one came from the factory with the polymer stock. Did come with two 20 rd mags as well as the factory mag. Yikes, the mags for these are pricey, need to pick up a couple more before they are outlawed. View attachment 242119
So that is easily remedied, found and ordered a nice new walnut stock with all hardware and also ordered a Sig Romeo5 Red Dot. The red dot has a nice auto On/Off function that works when the rifle is moved, it senses vibration. Told my wife didnt really need anything for Christmas, this pretty much covered it :)
View attachment 242120
Now I just need to figure out a final finish to add to the stock, to give it a bit of protection and bring out the wood grain
View attachment 242126
You might try 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and turpentine. That's what we used on our M1's in boot. Hand rub it in. Gives it a satin finish.

·
Super Moderator
40,044 Posts
I have owned two M1As and one M-14. The carbine look is good on the M1A, but for myself, I would most definitely rather have the full sized one. I have to agree with Jim Brady on the "buy the Springfield magazines". I made the mistake of buying some kind of aftermarket mags one time and they were junk.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like one of those 'salt rifles. That is some nice wood! The small mag looks out of place on a '14.... The Springfield M1A mags are pricey - but worth it. Beware of the after marker made-in-China mags. Don't waste your money on them - buy a Springfield mag or an authentic 20 rounder GI MILSURP mag. You will be glad you did. I got the 'basic load' for my rack grade M1A - 5 mags. Handy if you can find a bandoleer or two with the strippers and mag chargers.

Enjoy that rifle! May end up being your favorite.
I just ordered two 25 rd and one 5 rd mags from Midway, they are made in the USA by Check-Mate. They are a huge military supplier of many different mags as well as making OEM mags for gun manufactures. The reviews are outstanding
The short mags are nice when shooting off of a sled, wanted some 15 rounds but most supplier are out of stock with no back orders being accepted. I am sure that's gonna be the norm for the next couple years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts