M39 Questions...

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/19/02 9:28:31 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All M39 Questions...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Took my new VKT apart today, and I can't figure out how they got that smooth 2 stage trigger as opposed to the usual single stage on other Mosin Nagants...

The only difference I see is the two teeny roll pins on the bottom of the trigger yoke that ride against an apparently stock MN sear spring/bolt stop...stock MNs don't have them, but I can't figure out how they WORK...

Do they simply "flex" the middle of the Sear spring a little which is what you feel as "take up" before the trigger spur disengages?

The spur and mating surface on the cocking piece appear to be stock MN...

Anyway, it was PURE black grease (not cosmo) under all the wood, got it cleaned up...(actually just transferred all the grease from the rifle to the kitchen tabletop somehow...but got it all cleaned up before the wife got home, WHEW...thank God for denatured alcohol...)

It is in GREAT shape, the reciever is a 1905 Tula, after I could finally see the tang...

Another thing...

The bore size is SUPPOSED to be .308-.309, stock MNs are nominally .310-.312...can I fire my regular Albanian and Czech silvertip ammo through it with no problems?

I'm dying to fire it this weekend....
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/19/02 10:20:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: M39 Questions...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That black grease was probably the axle grease left over from when the rifle was used as an axle on one of their wagons! Any ball bearings down in there, anywhere!

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/20/02 1:04:35 am)
    NOW, Kdub, you FIRE Ben's 44 and you'll be as hooked as I am...ESPECIALLY if you do it at night...

When I got my CRFFL, I figured Nagants are cheap, I HAVE to get a Polish 44, then MAYBE a Russian to put a scope on and then I'd move on to "Better" stuff...so the FIRST thing I bought was some 44s on special at SOG...

Ben has been in my bedroom, ask him how THAT idea worked out...

Good thing my wife doesn't mind (much) sleeping with about 20-25 Mosin Nagants on the wall around her! Kinda like a "Czarist/Soviet/Warsaw Pact/Finnish" decor......

And if you add up the number I've owned and SOLD, you could prolly double that....and that's since Sept '00....can't WAIT till one of the kids moves out for good...got dibs on a bedroom for my "Nagant Room and Study..." (Thought I was in the berries when daughter went off to college, ready to move the racks, when wifey says NO she'll be home some weekends and SUMMERS!) (SO I haveta wait til she gets married or gets an apartment, GEEZ! )

And I still don't have the "right" Russian to put the scope on yet...kinda thought the one Ben bought would be the one, oh well, I just gotta keep buying them....

Gosh I like 'em...

But I can see how guys get hooked on them Finns, take a GOOD rifle and make it BETTER....the Finn 91 I bought from Bob is pretty cool, but it looks SO much better with the M39 tucked up next to it....

I need some MORE!!!!

"Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/21/02 8:30:45 am)
    Polish....when you finally kick the bucket, your wife won't bury you, she'll just dip you in cosmoline and hang you on the wall........