M44 Fetish

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/7/01 9:01:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All M44 Fetish
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Took a portion of last weekends gunshow receipts and ordered five more Hungarian M44s, five more Romanian M44s, and five more Polish M44s. Also ordered two crates of Albanian 7.62x54R ammo, and a dozen clamp-on recoil compenstors for the M44s.

I must be nuts.

But I do love them M44s!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

gpostal
    (11/8/01 1:20:20 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: M44 Fetish
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    after we move your gonna have to double that order
    remember my guncrazy brother in-law ,he called me the other day and has decided to start collecting them ,guy spends a grand a month on guns ,i cant wait to get me C&R

RobC in Missouri
    (11/8/01 10:52:24 am)
    Yes, those M44s can grow on you, although I recently got rid of most of mine. Did you get in on any of the laminated stock M44s that AIM had earlier this year? I sprung for a top-of-the-line, handpicked, wartime date, all matching one when they first came in, and picked up another pair when they were blowing them out at under $30 each.

Got rid of the two cheapos in Tulsa, but that handpick is staying put.

RobC in Missouri

polishshooter
    (11/9/01 3:46:26 pm)
    I got the very last two of the 29.95 ones that day, picked them up, wanted to get a couple more, they said it was lucky I had called at 9:00 am that I wanted those two and they put them back, they were all gone by 10:00AM...

Since I picked up the type 53 yesterday from Bob, I am THROUGH with 44s! Have a Polish, Hungarian, Two Russians, (A blonde matching wartime, and a non-matching post-war laminated,) a sweet matching Romanian, and the nice 53...so I'm DONE.

(But then again, I may just order a couple more of the Russians, the ones Bob got were better than the ones I got last time from SOG...)

(And I may order some more Polish and Hungarian, too, my sample of each are non-matching...)

(And I wouldn't mind buying that other 53 Bob had either...)

(And I still need an EG...)

(And one to make into my "Scout rifle...")

(And one to send to FAT to cut down...)

OK OK, so I'm THROUGH buying ROMANIAN 44s (Mine is pretty, don't think I could improve on it...)

And to think when I got my CR I thought I would buy only ONE 44 and move onto other "better" stuff...

We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Bob In St Louis
    (11/9/01 9:08:09 pm)
    We know the East German M44s are floating out there - but what about some of the other Eastern Block countries? What about Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, etc? Who else produced those M44s?
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

polishshooter
    (11/9/01 9:58:06 pm)
    According to Tuco, if I remember right, the USSR only shipped the equipment to make them to Poland, Hungary, and Romania after they started 47 production. The rest used surplus Russians, and the East Germans are the only ones known that overstamped the ones they got from Mother Russia...

The Chinese bought Russian 44s, then reverse engineered their own equipment to make them I think...

And the Czechs were doing their own thing with the 7.62x45 at the time, weren't they?

Yugoslavia was under Tito, trying not to be beholden to Stalin, probably still using Mausers, just a wild-ass guess,...until they switched over to their own SKS production. There is an AWFUL lot of Yugo Mausers out there, isn't there?

Bulgaria probably had such a small armed forces that they just used Russian stuff, not sure if they made anything of their own except Makarovs...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

polishshooter
    (11/10/01 9:35:35 am)
    And oh yeah, I forgot...Lasher just e-mailed me that he finally got his 1943 dated M44 he was looking for to round out his collection...he thinks he now has at least one for every factory, and just about every date...I asked him if the 43 was a Tula or Izh and he flipped out..."PLEASE tell me Tula didn't make any '43s, I thought I was DONE!!!)

...I need one of those too, they made about 100,000 of them... a 1943 Model 1944 just sounds cool...

Oh yeah, I need a Tula 44 too...crap.