M44 numbers

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 20, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

NuclearMeltdown
    (3/4/03 5:34:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All M44 numbers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Why would my M44 have a matching bolt, but not a matching floorplate? The buttplate is also matching. It's a 1946 Izhevsk and looks nearly new, so I'm guessing it's an arsenal rework. I always thought if the bolt matched, then the floorplate surely would, since bolts are easier to change than other parts.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/4/03 5:48:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: M44 numbers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pretty much all of them are arsenal reworks (not arsenal refinished to LN condition, just arsenal repaired). These little carbines came out of service and were put into storage for future use. They were repaired and then stored in cosmoline. If yours had a damaged/rusted/missing floorplate, then it was switched out or replaced. They didn't just arbitrarily switch parts, although it seems that way sometimes.

I have almost the same thing... a 1946 Izzy M44 with all matching numbers except the buttplate.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

walter in florida
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/4/03 9:12:59 pm)
    Me to. All parts matching except floorplate ( 1947 With two triangles, one with a arrow pointing to rear sight, other with a 1 in it.) Took me hours to clean out the cosmoline and plastic.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/4/03 9:44:43 pm)
    If you think about it, it's pretty amazing that we can actually own these rifles today. There are probably a lot of dead Communists spinning in their graves right now. The only reason they kept those weapons was to defeat the West.

If they had only known that in the year 2003 we Americans would sit here bitching about their guns....
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/8/03 12:44:19 am)
    Actually, if you have a Soviet Mosin Nagant that saw any real service at all, it probably is NOT matching. I've gotten several with matching bolts, but not floorplates. "Matching" is really overrated with Nagants....some of my best shooters' bolts didn't match.

Plus, I still think most rearsenaled ones with the polished bolts with only 4 digit numbers on the bolt are "force matched" anyway, only done at rearsenal. I've lucked into old beat up 44s with matching numbers on the bolt that had the full one, usually two letters and 4 digits...

The standard Soviet method for cleaning at the company level was to boil 50 gallon barrels of water and everyone strips their rifle down and throws all the metal parts in together...boils them clean then reaches in and grabs "one of everything" and put "a" rifle together, run the rod down it till the bore is clean or the rifling is all worn away at the muzzle then oil it down good...it started with the peasants of the Czar who were illiterate and couldn't read a serial number anyway, and it worked so well it became standard practice...and the Mosins will keep plugging away no matter what bolt or floorplate or buttplate is on it. (Headspace? We don't worry about no stinkin' HEADSPACE, comrade, its a MOSIN NAGANT not a pansy ass tinker toyski MAUSER!)

Probably their Polish and Hunky "cousins" watched their reservist pinko comrades on maneuvers with them clean them like that and did theirs that way too, makes sense. But for some reason I see more Romanians that match, so maybe they didn't do it that way...

It's kind of ironic, the beat up, chipped, "in the white" non-matching ones with the names carved in the stock (Although I wish "P. Jasek" would've used a little less cosmo on his old '44 when he turned it in...Cosmo turds ALL over the kitchen, wife was REALLY pleased...) have all the history and usually function smoother and better, while the pretty matching ones we all crave for our collections spent their life as "arsenal queens" stored away in a wood box somewhere since manufactured or remanufactured...I have 5 beat up 91/30s I like to think all saw some kind of WWII action...all in "dropped in the rubble only a half-dozen times" shape...and I've shot every one of them except one...they do just fine. I have a soft place in my heart for them...
    Anybody who thinks money can buy happiness needs to remember Michael Jackson.