The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a GZ that is giving me fits. There are tree main issues: one, it fails to feed properly... cartridges angle up and catch the upper edge of the breach.
two, fails to pick up spent rounds and eject them. three, it tends to stovepipe when it does pick it up.

I've completely disassembled and cleaned it. I had to tighten up the safety latch: the spring tension was really weak.

It has possibly been used as a "toy" in its past because of the dry fire mark on the breach and the fact that the striker is warn down. (anyone know where I can get a good striker or a "fix")

The breach face was really ruff so I attempted to polish it and the feed ramp. And if you're rolling your eyes and shaking your head ( :D ) I'm NOT a gunsmith or even a gs wantabe... but I did do a sweet trigger job on my 10/22 and custom made my own side folding stock for it.

Now here is the sketchy part: I did, in trying to fix the feed problem, polished a slight crown to the breach so that hopefully that might stop the cartridge from catching the upper lip, which may have caused the failure to extract. but looking closely at the extractor groove, I can still see the rim of the cartridge clearly.

I also replaced the recoil spring, however, the one I was sent is at least twice as strong as the one that was in it.

I've tried several types/manufactures of rounds and all have done the same and I don't have the money, even if .22 ammo were available, to go out and buy a box of everything to see what ammo it might "like".

Any ideas about trying to save it before I melt it for scrap?

Ok... stop laughing... I'm serious :D

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I've had similar problems with guns in the past and they were mostly magazine related. The feed lips may be bent wrong, the spring in the mag may be weak, It may not be locking in place right.
I'm guessing a new mag for it may be hard to find. Try to see if both sides of the lips are at the same angle.
Check out Gun Parts and BuyMilsurp to see if any mags or springs are available. When you put the mag in, use your free hand under the mag to make sure it is locked in place.
I'm willing to bet that is where alot of your problems come from.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the info is greatly appreciated... I did buy a new mag and neither one feeds properly. It may be the mag. My problem is that, not being a gunsmith, and not having anyone to explain the theory about how they are suppose to work. I'm reasonably mechanical once I understand the concept on how something is suppose to work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.