Mad

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 8:33:45 am)
    Reply Mad
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would like to take time to warn everyone on this great site about the problem I had this week with a fraud charge on my debit card.I order a lot of C&R's from the best dealer's mostly by phone and give them my debit number.I also order some stuff off the net and pay bills too.I have a firewall on my Pc that is supposed to keep hacker's out.There was a $264.61 Pay Pal charge on it and I am not a PayPal member.I contacted Pay Pal and they are going to refund my money I hope and I have also canceled my debit card and ordered new ones with a different pin number.I think someone,somewhere has kept my number that I made a order with for there use.Has anyone else on this forum had this trouble before?Please be carefull if you give out your info to someone and check your account daily if you have online banking. Mad Benny

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 8:40:45 am)
    Reply | Edit Re: Mad
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dang, sorry to hear that. I have quit using my debit card for online purchases for that very reason. I will only use a bona-fide credit card... it offers a little better protection, and won't get directly into my bank account if abused.

If you ever find out who got your number or how, let us know. I order from probably the same C&R suppliers that you do, and if there's a problem with one of them, I'd like to know.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/10/03 8:41:26 am)
    Reply Re: Mad
    Did you request any info as to the Pay Pal charge, as to where the purchase was, etc. - was it related to anything you might purchase? I have a Pay Pal account, but haven't used it for over a year. Probably ought to check it!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/10/03 8:42:13 am)
    Re: Mad
    I have used my credit card to buy stuff over the net before. Always makes me nervous, I eyeball the credit card bill for the next couple months to make sure it is ok.

Online buying/banking should be safer since there is not nearly the amount of people seeing handling the transaction.
    Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/10/03 8:47:04 am)
    I never buy over the internet with credit card, and forget paypal or any other cyber payment system.

Use the telephone and give credit card info if you want to buy something.

GG

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 8:49:22 am)
    GG, the only problem with that is they put your credit card number into their computer database anyway, and it ends up just as vulnerable as everyone else's.

The fact is, if you use a credit card, you are vulnerable to credit card theft and/or identity theft. There are even cases of waiters at restaurants skimming credit card numbers when you pay your tab.

No safety at all in today's world. Not unless you use ALL cash.

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 9:10:28 am)
    Bob,on my statement it gave a member number plus a name that was used but PayPal will not give me any info without a supena.I hope they will investigate it.I will keep everyone posted on the outcome of this.I guess I will start sending a cashiers check from now on and wait a extra week for the C

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/10/03 12:04:16 pm)
    Ah Haaaaaaaaa... ol' pay-pal doing what they can.

I'll never use them again!!!
    I literally received JUNK, and when I contacted the seller, he (the seller) simply blew me off!
    I contacted pay-pal and guess what...
    they blew me off too.

I contacted my credit card company, and they took care of me by collecting from pay-pal.

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 6:01:01 pm)
    I never have never used or signed up with Pay Pal there was just a charge on my debit card from pay pal.I will use my credit card from now on because they have a better protection plan and it is there money, not out of my checking account which is my C&R money. Mad Benny

Yabra Kadabra Doo
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 6:33:01 pm)
    Online credit card use is safer than shopping in stores. Fewer people see the numbers. When you go to a restaurant and hand the waiter your credit card, he takes it to the back and you have no idea how many people see it. When you shop online, the company that you buy from does NOT see your credit card number. It is handled by a third-party who then credits the company's account.

My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me

whiskey101
    (1/10/03 7:16:12 pm)
    Some credit cards offer a one-time-use number that you can set the amount for. This is the only safe way to use credit cards over the net.

Here's what I found on a search:

news.com.com/2100-1017-24...egacy=cnet

www.privasys.com/News_Industry.htm

So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out in to the street.

teehee1
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 9:23:00 pm)
    About Paypal
    I know there is no love loss here for GB. But if Paypal in fact did them out of a whole bunch of money and they (GB) couldn't make Paypal cough it up then what chance of us lowly peons getting them to make something right? I have never used or never will use Paypal, they may be big but so was Enron. I have done lots of auctions on GB and what I have heard from the average bidder is that he(they) have had nothing bur grief from these people. If they don't decide to help you they just ignore you. I purchase a lot of stuff over the net and when I see the Paypal logo I shop elsewhere..
    "Life is not:easy, fair or cheap... sometimes bad things happen to good people"

270abolt
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 9:29:10 pm)
    Reply Re: About Paypal
    credit cards ,,what in the world is that....... the last case of ammo I got it cost me 2 pigs, 1 goat , 6 ducks and a rabbit

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 9:36:12 pm)
    Reply Hmmmmm....
    Ya'll are makin me wonder...I've used Paypal over a hunert times over the internet...with no problems...maybe I ought ta re-think me strategy....!

Shizamus
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 11:23:51 pm)
    We are heading for a cashless society.
    What kind of problems will that bring ?

www.gcnlive.com
    www.infowars.com

pickenup
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/11/03 2:12:50 am)
    1952Sniper;
    Cash is the way to go, but have you ever tried to give cash to a stock broker? They will not accept cash.

270abolt;
    You got ripped, should not have been more than 4 ducks.

I never signed up for pay-pal. I did not like the fine print where it says that they can close operations "at any time", with NO notice. I did not want a bunch of money in my account, and all the sudden they decide to skip town with a few million dollars of our money. Sounded kinda fishy to me.

Jay625
    (1/11/03 8:15:23 am)
    Reply credit card and paypal
    I use both a credit card and paypal. However I got a credit card that I use only for internet transactions. I normally keep a $100 limit on the card. If I want to spend several hundred on something, I just call and up the limit for a particular seller. It takes a few minutes more once in a while, but it seems to work, and so far no trouble.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/11/03 9:51:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit Re: credit card and paypal
    Folks, let's face it. Using a credit card may have its problems, but it's still very safe. Even if someone manages to steal your number, you have protections against fraudulent charges.

Not so with cash. If somebody steals your wallet, you're SOL.

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/14/03 9:50:36 am)
    Reply Mad
    Well after a week Pay Pal has credited my account.The lady at the bank said she is having two or three of these a week now from Pay Pal.They are investagating it along with Pay Pal.Someone is taking account number's and opening up account's with Pay Pal.Could be someone at the bank who knows. Benny

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/14/03 11:09:41 am)
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I will be keeping a close eye on my bank account now, and am considering cancelling my paypal account.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/14/03 11:29:50 am)
    It sounds to me there may be a local problem there with Benny's bank!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/14/03 11:58:23 pm)
    Put your money in Freds Bank we got us a big
    dawg pro-tectin us!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.