The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any knowledge of these? They are NOT composite lowers and NOT aluminum lowers. They are milled from a magnesium alloy.

Ships use a lot of magnesium alloys in the construction of the superstructure since it is lighter in weight than aluminum.

I'm looking at buying one so, if anyone has any feedback on them it is greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
OK Guys, count me in on the new AR owner sort of. I now have the start. I just bought a MAG Tactical magnesium alloy AR stripped lower receiver with a DPMS lower parts kit for $169.50 + $15 for shipping. I have enough mags - a couple Israeli mags and one lightly used pmag plus 2 brand new pmags and 2 more coming.

.223 ammo is easy enough, my local FFL reloads 10,000 rounds a month for some place in Texas under contract. I can get a few hundred rounds of his reloads cheap - I take care of his computers.

So, now all I have to do is save up around $550 for a complete upper with BCG plus a butt stock kit :)

Downside is that now I can't afford the wooden gun rack for the wall in my lab for a couple months so my 2 rifles and my shotgun will have to gently stand sentinel in the closet in my computer lab for a while more.

This purchase brings up a small conundrum in explaining this purchase to my wife. I bought the .303 Enfield just a couple weeks ago and promised I wouldn't buy another gun for about 6 months. Hmm.. so lets see, a lower receiver and a lower parts kit isn't a 'gun' right? It's just some parts..? The bills are paid and we can just barely afford this purchase....

It's late at night here now so I won't wake her up to tell her I won the auction... I'll tell her in the morning as we both wake up and eat breakfast..

Heaven knows when I can afford the rest of the parts, but I can just barely afford this. I had extra business that
just came in today unexpected. I do have the contract finishing for the one CCTV system install - still have another 400 ft. of cable plus to run for it but the I won't be running all of it through the ceiling like I did the first 480 ft. I have the first 8 of the 14 CCTV cameras now recording 24 hours a day and am waiting on the extra cables I need to arrive to finish the installation. Another CCTV installation will be done next month. I'm only charging $700 for the entire installation. Doing $1500 worth of wok though. I don't charge much for all this work I do in this valley - people work hard for their money and they don't have a lot to spare. I do need to hire an apprentice towards the end of the summer so that someone else can do what I do when I retire in another 12 years. Running a business the way I do helps people and it helps them a lot. I will always just barely make a living from it which is why I also raise sheep and am building a chicken coop.

Well, I guess I better buy what I can afford at the moment rather than save the money for the future and possibly never be able to buy it. Right now, this as well as it can be. My retirement income is secure and comes from outside the US but i can envision many scenarios where I may never get it.

Several AR & AK rifles and thousands of rounds of ammo may very well be the best retirement security.

Now, I am going to bed and dream about exactly how I want to build my AR :)

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I dont know about that manufacturer but so many of them make ar lowers now I have never heard of one that is total junk. As far as magnesium goes, my sons sprint kart wheels are made of it. Its tough stuff but also somewhat brittle. The only thing is it can take a beating before it breaks, but when it goes, it goes. Kinda like tempered glass.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I dont know about that manufacturer but so many of them make ar lowers now I have never heard of one that is total junk. As far as magnesium goes, my sons sprint kart wheels are made of it. Its tough stuff but also somewhat brittle. The only thing is it can take a beating before it breaks, but when it goes, it goes. Kinda like tempered glass.
I'm making a sort of educated guess here... this is a magnesium alloy and the only metal that really can bond with it is aluminum. This is why Navy destroyers superstructures are built with these alloys -they are lighter in weight.

I'm taking an educated guess that a magnesium alloy lower receiver will be far better than a polymer one and could even well outlast an aluminim lower receiver.

One thing is for sure though. Getting a lower receiver made of metal with the DPMS lower parts kit for less than $200 including shipping is definitely a good deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts