The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever had a pistol mag not hold what it was supposed to hold?

I have a Beretta .380 with two 13 round mags. One will only take 12. I also have two M&P 12 round mags and one will only hold 11.

Does anyone have any help on this subject?

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
if new mags.. load them as much as they will hold and leave overnight, unload and reload and see what it gets ya.

I have a few low cap rifle mags for hunting that are 5rnd mags that won't quite take 5.. but most pistol mags I have take rated laod.

I do have some odd 32 round mags that I've never got past 30 in... ymmv i guess...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that was an interesting idea and I had the Beretta mag laying here so I got a box of ammo and the Butler Creek loader and shoved 13 rounds in without a problem...I give up.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Are you using any kind of loading tool, Charles Christenson? Perhaps my hands are not as strong as some, but I often find the last round or two on any hi-cap magazines impossible to load without one. Some manufacturers even include them with the gun.

Even some single-column mags can be tough. I have a Makarov, and getting the last round in the mag is always a fight.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
As a very old habit, I always load Hi Cap mags one or two less than full capacity. For me, that is within my comfort zone, I figure if I can't do the job with first three rounds, I should be carrying a stick.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
As a very old habit, I always load Hi Cap mags one or two less than full capacity. For me, that is within my comfort zone, I figure if I can't do the job with first three rounds, I should be carrying a stick.
magic bullets right?

most of us carry hi cap mags because we are anticipating a possoibility of more than one attacker.

5 guys pop out and I guess you have to use the magic bullets to have 3 hit 5 right?

if it should take 13.. I want my 13.. :)

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
:D If 5 guys jump out of bushes intending to do harm to my hot little bod, 1. I don't intend on staying in the vicinity very long. 2. If I shoot 3 of them and the rest are too stupid to stop, then a hundred bullets wouldn't do any good. 3. If 5 guys jump out the bushes at me, then I'm in an area I shouldn't be in the first place. I didn't say I only carried 3 bullets, I said on a high cap magazine, I always loaded one or two less than full capacity. Since I live in an area where 5 guys jumping out a bush at me is extremely unlikely, I do believe 12 rounds in my Hi Power will suffice. , and if I can't stop someone with the first 3 rounds, then I should be carring a stick. I guess I'm just one of those guys that believe I don't need 30 rounds to protect my self. AND, I have lived in some hard times and in some very hard places. what is that old saw, Been there, done that, no longer have anything to prove to anyone:D

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have noticed that when using my Butler Creek loader (AKA UpLULA) the finger that presses the stack down does take up a bit of room that the last round is trying to occupy. I managed to get that 12th round into the M&P mag by slowly backing the loader finger out while pushing the round in. It required a bit of a delicate dance to get it in and the other mags do not have this problem. I guess I can write this one up to manufacturing tolerances.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
:D If 5 guys jump out of bushes intending to do harm to my hot little bod, 1. I don't intend on staying in the vicinity very long. 2. If I shoot 3 of them and the rest are too stupid to stop, then a hundred bullets wouldn't do any good. 3. If 5 guys jump out the bushes at me, then I'm in an area I shouldn't be in the first place. I didn't say I only carried 3 bullets, I said on a high cap magazine, I always loaded one or two less than full capacity. Since I live in an area where 5 guys jumping out a bush at me is extremely unlikely, I do believe 12 rounds in my Hi Power will suffice. , and if I can't stop someone with the first 3 rounds, then I should be carring a stick. I guess I'm just one of those guys that believe I don't need 30 rounds to protect my self. AND, I have lived in some hard times and in some very hard places. what is that old saw, Been there, done that, no longer have anything to prove to anyone:D
in the BTDT department I guess I have just had different life experiences and seen different things than you did. Perhaps I'm not living the charmed life you are where there are no thugs in places they shouldn't be. in my world, bad guys can hang out in places they shouldn't be.. that's why I like to be fully prepaired. If my mag holds X rounds.. i don't want to have to fill it with X-2 ... I might neet hose other (2) rounds.

The idea that if you need more than 3 shots you'd rather have a stick seems absurd to me. I'll take my chances with 3 shots.. you can do the man to man close in fighting thing. I'm not a martial artist. I'm not into that 'beat you down' type stuff. that's why i carry a gun... I also don't assume i can outrun 5 people that want to do harm to me. especially not with torn cartilidge in my knee. Again.. I'm not a marathon runner, martial artist who lives in charmed land carring the gun with the magic bullets. if I was.. everything would be hunky dory.. ;)

good day

1 - 9 of 9 Posts