The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I are new to reloading. The only primers we could find to reload 38 and 357 were large pistol magnum primers. Is that ok to use in the 38's?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I believe 38/357 take small pistol primers.Only certain powders{loading manual should specify]require magnum primers.If you are doing 38s you need to have a formula[load data]and follow it,and exchange the large for small pistol primers.:)

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
My son and I are new to reloading. The only primers we could find to reload 38 and 357 were large pistol magnum primers. Is that ok to use in the 38's?
Sorry no, the 38/357 takes Small Pistol.

Yes, you can use Small Pistol or Small Pistol Mag primers as long as you Start Low and Work Up.

·
Premium Member
19,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found them at gander mtn. That's all they had. I guess I can use them with my 44 magnum Ruger. A guy at the store told us 38/357 used large pistol primers. Looks like we got some bad advise.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
it's been my experience that most counter people *generally* know less about a product than you do... :(

·
Premium Member
19,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's been my experience that most counter people *generally* know less about a product than you do... :(
I don't know much about reloading but I now know more than the guy that gave me the advice.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Study your load manuals, and find a load or two that you would like to load for your specific caliber. Go out and find those components. I have seen so many people buy powder, and primers lately, and not know what they would use it for. I had a guy at a gun show 3 weeks ago that purchased 4lb of CFE223, and 4lb of IMR4895, 1k of LRP, and 1k of LPP stop me to ask a question about reloading 9mm, and .380 with his supplies he just scored on. My first response was have you ever reloaded? He said "NO", but with Obama taking our guns, and ammo I want to start. He had just picked up a Lee LM used on a local classified forum, and was hunting for powder, primers, and bullets. :confused: These sales counter pros are clueless, and don't care what you buy. I listened in on a conversation this past weekend at a Big Box store as a sales person told a customer to just add a little more powder til you get the results you want. He and his dad like to fill them cases up for hunting!:eek: That broke the camels back. I stopped the customer, and said forget everything you just heard. Advised him to but some reloading manuals, and start reading. After that I had a talk with the dept manager.

·
Premium Member
19,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the Richard Lee Modern Reloading and the Hornady book. I also have you guys. Thanks for the help. I will ask more when I get the small pistol primers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts