The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been doing some work on an old shotgun I got from my brother. I’ve tightened up the action and took a dent out of the barrel and I am now working on the stock. This may never be more than a wall hanger but it is a cool old shotgun.

The wood was very dark but as I clean it more and work with it more I’m thinking it might be mahogany. With the age of the gun it could even be Cuban mahogany. What do you guys think?

CA9A8F0C-08CE-44FC-883D-9FE64E2388BA.jpeg
D9BBD521-2D2F-43AD-8D4D-4EF640D927D9.jpeg

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
My bet is walnut,or gumwood, from a large branch with that dense straight grain. Could be Cuban or Brazilian Mahogany, Cuban I've seen usually has a lot of figure. Brazilian with straight grain like that, has light and dark patches.
The smell after sanding will tell. Walnut and Mahogany have a distinct smell, Gumwood not so much.

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
The photo looks like walnut. Sand a little in an inconspicuous place and sniff.

Back in High School in the mid 60s my Wood Shop project was a stock for a Model 93 Mauser. I chose mahogany. Big mistake. It split the first time I fired it. Should have picked walnut.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The photo looks like walnut. Sand a little in an inconspicuous place and sniff.

Back in High School in the mid 60s my Wood Shop project was a stock for a Model 93 Mauser. I chose mahogany. Big mistake. It split the first time I fired it. Should have picked walnut.
Well, this one split too. :)
It’s the split wood grain that looks like mahogany to me.
I was trying not to sand it but I’ll try it. I think I remember the smell of of both walnut and mahogany.

·
Premium Member
12,436 Posts
I think it's walnut. I've worked with a lot of mahogany on sail bots and that grain looks a lot more like straight grained walnut than mahogany to me.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
What brand is the shotgun, maybe that will give insight to the possible wood used?

Larry

Reactions: One Shot

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
What brand is the shotgun, maybe that will give insight to the possible wood used?

Larry
54A49500-DE9E-4142-9030-CD3E5A2F1EE1.jpeg

I believe it to be made by Cresent.

I sanded the end of the buttstock and really couldn’t get any smell I recognized. I have a piece of black walnut scrap and sanded it and could definitely tell it was walnut. Couldn’t get walnut or mahogany when sanding.

This golden colored area also reminds me a bit of mahogany.
02A14E24-A67B-478A-9362-2676224DF78C.jpeg

Looks to be stained something...maybe the gum wood Trap mentioned. ???

47374B5D-0146-43AF-9316-F27AEFB7A6F2.jpeg

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Yeah, pretty sure that's Gumwood. Clean all that finish off, and the whole thing will be the yellow color underneath it, like it is right there next to the pistol grip.
Winchester used Gumwood on the 94 and 92 between 1904 to 1925 on the Carbines. Some of the Gumwood is really hard to tell from walnut.

·
Premium Member
12,436 Posts
TRAP, when you say "gumwood", is that wood from the Sweet Gum tree? I expect it's plenty hard enough but I didn't think they were good for anything but making an immense mess in your yard and pretty to look at for two weeks in the fall.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, pretty sure that's Gumwood. Clean all that finish off, and the whole thing will be the yellow color underneath it, like it is right there next to the pistol grip.
Winchester used Gumwood on the 94 and 92 between 1904 to 1925 on the Carbines. Some of the Gumwood is really hard to tell from walnut.
I’ve always questioned the Walnut on my 1915 1894 30-30. The stock kinda looks like walnut but the forearm looks more like pine. :)

Reactions: Grizzley1
1 - 20 of 27 Posts