Malfunction: was it the ammo or the gun?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by C.King, Jun 26, 2020.

1. C.King

C.King Member

Thank you! Those are the sorts of things I was concerned about, which is why I was being so cautious to understand things.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Make sure and hold the gun tight. My wife limp wrist every semi-auto she shoots and has jams all the time. I clear it and shoot a mag through it with no problems and then she remembers to hold it tight.

ScrapMetal, Kweeksdraw and C.King like this.

3. C.King

C.King Member

Thank you. I do hold it tight. The Sig has a nice handle, but it has a bit of a sandpaper effect to it. I hold it so tight that it starts to rub the skin off the palm of my hand after I have been out there shooting awhile, although I probably hold it too tight and I do shoot a lot when I go out there. Otherwise it is not an issue.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  4. bbqchair

bbqchair Member

I have 2 Sigs, a P250 compact for carry and a P226. It’s one thing to have had the gun cleaned by a gunsmith when you bought it and it’s another to do the regular maintenance.

I try my hardest to clean my weapon after shooting. Leaving the deposits for too long can create issues but also routinely cleaning makes you more familiar with it.

Was it 100 or 200 rounds between shooting and the jam happened or closer to the 600?

If the gun has sat for a little bit between cleanings and going back to the range it might be worth a quick lube prior to shooting.

Kweeksdraw likes this.