Manchester Arms

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Red84, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Red84

Red84 New Member

Hey everybody, anybody hear of a Manchester Arms SxS 12 gauge made in 1892? My friend at work has one and was wondering where it was made and more info if you have it. Thanks:D

2. koginam

koginam New Member

It probably is English if you could get a picture of the proof marks on the barrel and under the forearm it would help.

3. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

My reference book says the name MANCHESTER ARMS CO BELGIAN is/was a marking found on a Belgian made hammer double and the maker is unknown. You can confirm the gun is Belgian by looking on the bottom of the barrels under the forearm for the proof marks consisting of the letters "ELG" in an oval with maybe a crown over that. The gun is not English.

4. Red84

Red84 New Member

Thank you for the prompt answer, I will ask him about the proof marks.

5. Red84

Red84 New Member

Well, the exact proof mark you described was under the forearm, do you know how rare these shotguns are? Just wondering if the book shows about how many were made. Any more help would be appreciated.

6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

They are not rare, these were sold by the boatload for very low prices.

7. Red84

Red84 New Member

8. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

The gun is what is known as a ""Trade Brand Name" shotgun. That is a gun made by a major maker usually on contract to a wholesaler, retailer or in this case an importer who selected the name to go on the gun. There was a large trade in Belgian made shotguns beginning in about 1880 and continuing until 1914 when World War One, The Great War or the War To End All Wars (chose one) cut off all exports from Europe. Belgian made guns of this period were designed for the ammunition in use at the time which was short black powder loaded shells. The guns had damascus barrels. I and many others will tell you that such guns are not safe to shoot using modern high pressure smokeless powder loaded shells. One of my gunsmithing books say that a damascus barrel is an accident waiting to happen. One shot, ten shots, one hundred shots sometime the barrel(s) are going to let go with disasterous results destroying an old gun and possibly injuring the shooter. If your life insurance is paid up, then go ahead and shoot it.

9. Red84

Red84 New Member

Exactly why I am a member of this forum, its a wealth of info, thanks everyone!