Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Mannlicher Schoenauer Value/Information?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by FLSwamphog, Jul 25, 2016.

1. FLSwamphog

FLSwamphog New Member

I have what appears to be (and is stamped as such) a Mannlicher Schoenauer Model NO (stamped on receiver just 'Mod. NO') full length stock (20in. barrel measured from bolt face), chambered in 30-06 with a dual set trigger. the bolt handle is of a 'pancake' flat style and is blued. in my research the particular part that has thrown me off is the stamped 'Mod NO'. I found one reference to a Mod NO and that was that they were exclusively sold in Europe.

On the left side of the receiver it is stamped "Steyr-Daimler-Puch A.G. , Steyr" next on the barrel and receiver there appears to be a several proof marks one which i can not decipher, a NP with V under the P, and 68, all 3 of which are stamped in a row, in that order.

I was in a tad of a rush to take the pics, but can retake any and all on request. additional info might be.... It does have a rotary Mag, with a release button that throws out all cartridges when depressed. there does appear to be markings under the stock(i can see the top of lettering i cant make out), I may be in a position tomorrow to have the stock off and take extra pictures. to my knowledge the 5 pictures I included are all stamps/markings on the rifle with the exception of what lies under the stock on the barrel. I now see the pic of the mark on the stock is pretty poor, If i remember right the first letter is a J, followed possibly by an F but could be wrong.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

First off welcome to the forum!! Secondly you have a nice and desirable rifle. M/S rifles are all very well done.

I would about guarantee there is more proofs beneath the stock. Your rifle is post war and I think from the 50's or 60's although it could be later. I am completely ignorant of a Model NO and your reference that it was only offered in Europe conjures up images of a GI who bought the rifle while stationed in Europe and brought it home. That is pure speculation on my part but it happened a lot, especially back then given the exchange rate.

The NP-V is the proof mark for the Vienna proof house. Steyr is the town in Austria where Steyr-Daimler-Puch is/was headquartered. Puch was a line of vehicles/motorcycles. The "68" I don't know without seeing the rest of the proofs. I don't believe it is the year it was proofed as the date code almost always includes the month and often which number of firearm it was during that month. I am more suspicious it is an assembly # as it appears on the barrel and action. I can't make out what the other stamping is. A picture of the rifle in it entirety rather than in pieces would help.

3. FLSwamphog

FLSwamphog New Member

between more information found online and a call to Steyr USA, According to a gentleman with a thick Germanic accent at Steyr the two number stamp should be a year of production. The rifle also has a Tang safety or 'shotgun saftey' which dates it after 1964 (according to atleast 3 sources) This rifle does seem to have the 'low monte carlo' style stock...but is missing the white line spacer that seems prevelent on later model stocks. It also has the Blued bolt, which I am not 100% sure if it is 'original' I suppose I will look at the serial number next chance I get.

It would appear (so far) what I have is a European model (thus the stamp Mod. NO)1961 MCA produced in 1968 with a 'throwback' (I think that's the right way to describe it) Blued bolt, and no white line spacer sold in the 'american' caliber .30-06. I'll look into value when we get it thoroughly cleaned..... It appears to have been a safe queen for atleast the last decade and has an unfortunate amount of surface rust in the Magazine walls, under the stock and on the front trigger (but surprisingly the exterior metal/bore is nearly pristine otherwise)

Thanks for the information.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016