mannlicher-schoenaur carbine

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by hsemrau, May 1, 2009.

1. hsemrau

hsemrau New Member

i recently acqurired 2 rifles from a friend who passed away.he had them
    labeled as 1903 mannlicher- schoenaur carbine 18 inch full ribbed bbl with
    mint bore 6.5x54 cleaning rod in stock. reciever marked oesterr waffen fabr ges steyer,and atlanta fine arms on bbl. claw mount with carl zeiss scope.
    no.2 is mannlicher-schoenaur rifle model mc 22inch bbl mint bore .244 cal
    with paul jaeger mount ,kahles 3x9 variable helia scope.
    both rifles are in mint condition,but i know very little about them or there
    value. could use some help.:)
    hsemrau

2. hsemrau

hsemrau New Member

where is all the pros???
    hsemrau

3. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Scratching their heads ...:p

And .....

[​IMG]

4. Mark

Mark New Member

Like jimbo said, this is worthless without pictures.

I've never seen a Mannlicher Schoenauer with a rib. Yeah, maybe made by Steyre, and imported, but a commercial, military/remodeled, or what?

You have to help us out.

Mark

5. hsemrau

hsemrau New Member

mark
    will try to have pictures tomorrow.
    hank

6. hsemrau

hsemrau New Member

Here are the pics of both rifles.

Attached Files:

7. hsemrau

hsemrau New Member

More

Attached Files:

8. hsemrau

hsemrau New Member

Rifle #2

Attached Files:

9. hsemrau

hsemrau New Member

Last set

Attached Files:

10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Wow. Somebody glue a Pachmayr ventilated rib on that poor rifle? I've not only never seen one, I've never heard of doing that.

Those are a couple of very nice guns, except for that "thing". I wonder if the rib can be removed? I know if it was being offered to me, that would be a sale-breaker.

Modern Steyr rifles go, even used, for quite a bit over a thousand bucks. Logically, the ones you have should be worth at least that much. You have an ammo problem, though. 6.5 x 54 Mannlicher is kinda steep. Like about 3 dollars a round. If you can't afford to shoot a gun, why have it? The other one. 244? Would that be .244 Remington, which is now 6mm Remington? If so, ammo is available, and only 30 bucks a box, instead of 60. But it's not as popular a caliber as .243 is. So that, also, might be a difficult sale.

I think if you got six to seven hundred for either of them, you'd be doing good.

11. hsemrau

hsemrau New Member

alpo
    the rib on the1903 is not a pachmayr nor is it ventilated. the rib is factory installed by
    steyr.the blue book of gun values by s.p. fjestad list extra for original ribbed barrel.
    i also received rcbs dies and plenty of ammo for both rifles.
    i am still trying to learn.
    hsemrau

12. hsemrau

hsemrau New Member

alpo
    the barrel is engraved with [atlanta fine guns]
    [importers ltd ]
    [atlanta ga. ]
    hsemrau

13. hsemrau

hsemrau New Member

mark
    are you a pro and can answer my thread.
    i have posted pictures
    hsemrau

14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I guess I can only offer two excuses.

1 - In the second set of pictures, because of the light and shadow, it looked to me like the rib was vented. Looking closer I see that it's just grooved.

2 - I tend to think of guns as guns, and not rare collector items (like Ming vases).

I dug out my copy of the Blue Book (which is several years old) and found that the values I gave were a touch on the low side. Maybe 1/3 for the rifle and 1/6 for the carbine.

15. Mark

Mark New Member

How do you know the rib is a factory addition? It looks like something added later. The original 1903 carbine is slender and very refined. That rib doesn't fit the original lines.
    If you could picture that rifle without the rib, notice how everything flows together?

Another thing out of place is the tang safety. The originals had a wing safety on the bolt.
    Condition of that carbine is superb. My guess would be $1500 plus. The reason so low is the rib and safety, I don't think they're from Mannlicher. If, and I mean if, the rifle is original in that condition, I'd guess $2500 to $3000. I really doubt the rib and safety.

I'd check the caliber on the rifle. .244 is a common groove diameter that could have been stamped on the rifle. It looks like a model of 1952, so .243 Winchester would be my guess. With the plastic buttplate it could be a 1961 model, or a transition model. They never threw anything away. Check that chamber.
    Again, condition is superb. My guess would be $2000 to $2500.

Remember, this is the internet. I can't look at your firearms with my fingers, so I'm forwarding a wild guess.
    I am basing my hunch on what I see offered for sale, and then only if the arm disappears offered at those prices. Some companies have stuff for sale at wild prices, and you see the same stuff offered month after month. Obviously, that stuff is over priced. Those prices are also retail. People balk at retail.

I'd love to hear some other ideas.

Also, I'm not even close to being an expert.

Mark