The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my grandfathers IJ handgun. It's a 5 shot, .32 caliber(box says .32 on it) with a bulldog on the grip facing the barrel. The barrel is about 3 inches long. It's in the original box(priced at $32.50). It's not nickel plated(i guess thats what they call "blued"). J18806 is stamped on the trigger guard, under the grip on the left side and under where it breaks open above the cylinder. Can anyone tell me about it? It has Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle works, Fitchburg, mass, usa stamped on the top of the barrel. It also has the coil spring in the handle, not a leaf spring. If it helps dating it, there is a picture stamped inside the lid of the box of a little girl holding the gun basically say ing that its safe for a child to play with.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
You have an small frame Iver Johnson 3rd Model 2nd Variation Safety Hammer Automatic revolver, chambered in .32 S&W. It is considered a smokeless frame and safe for modern smokeless ammunition. It has a blued finish as you pointed out.

Bill Goforth, who was an expert on Iver Johnson's, wrote a book on Iver Johnson's and it contained the serial number / year of production information from Iver Johnson. He stated the last serial number for small frame 3rd Model 2nd Variation Hammer was J18550 in 1940. Is it possible you are reading a number incorrectly? There is also a serial number stamped on the frame under the left grip. There is another serial number under the top strap, which you can see once you remove the cylinder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For some reason the site won’t let me upload more photos. The trigger guard clearly reads J18806. Under the grip and under the cylinder there is no J but the numbers are the same, 18806. A pistol permit is in the box and is dated 8/23/1946

·
Super Moderator
39,069 Posts
We are experiencing technical difficulties in the uploading of pictures. A lot of folks are having good results dragging and dropping pictures into the reply box.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
That would make it a late production gun. The box and paperwork will increase the appeal to a collector, and I would value it around $250-$300.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts