The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Banned
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It arrived today - Dan sent me an extra 6 position AR-15 6 position stock he didn't need and sent it to me from the goodness of his heart. My lower receiver and parts kit arrived at my FFL yesterday. I'll pick them up tomorrow or Saturday. (I'll fill out the 4473 tomorrow anyway) - don't know if he'll have time to call it in before Sunday though).

With Dan's gift, I have now decided on my color scheme - I'm going to build this as one of those mean all black rifles the libs hate so much. I'll post pics as I go along. It's going to take a few months to save enough for an upper unless I find one cheap - I keep looking and I just may get lucky like I did with the lower receiver including parts kit. I won't be surprised if one of my customers has some .223 ammo for payment of a computer repair either.

Many thanks Dan, that was very kind of you! :)

· Premium Member
12,962 Posts
Glad you like it, hopefully I packed it good so the spring and plunger didnt rattle around too much. I hope its what you want to use on your build. If not, at least you have something to barter with...

· Banned
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan, it's perfect. The box split a little in shipping but nothing fell out. A question for you since you know more about these. The recoil buffer does rattle a little when shaken from the weight inside it. Is that usual? I don't see it affecting functionality at all..

· Premium Member
12,962 Posts
You have to have a buffer retainer and spring. Do you not have that??
http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=ar-15+buffer+retainer&ksubmit=y
There is a little cavity in the lower that accepts the spring and retainer and when you install your stock, you thread it in just far enough to hold your retainer down but the nipple sticks up and holds the buffer and spring in the stock....

Now that I re read what you posted, I guess I read it wrong to begin with...yes the buffer does rattle...sorry

· Banned
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep Dan, it's the buffer retainer itself I'm asking about. The buffer retainer has a weight inside and if gently held in the hand and swung from side to side it's the weight in it that shifts. This was given the nomenclature of being the 'recoil buffer' where I looked up the part names from which is why I used it in my last post.

As near as I can tell, that weight inside is supposed to shift and it was manufactured that way. I find this curious and was simply wondering if you knew why this would be made this way?

I'm thinking from a physics point of view that the weight inside shifting during firing is what would assist in reducing recoil, reduce compression's on the spring and add life to the spring. Somebody certainly did some interesting engineering when this was designed.

All parts have most certainly arrived intact. I most certainly thank you for having sent the kit and it will be the kit on my rifle. I will keep the rifle with this kit on it.

I don't have roll pin punches to assemble the LPK with, but I do have tools that will do the job. I'll ask Tom when I go pick up the lower - if he's not currently building one I'm sure he'll loan me roll pin punches for a day. Otherwise, I will simply build this with my tools.

Thanks Dan. And Thanks for all the info too!

· Banned
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My local FFL just called me an hour ago to let me know that he will be around all day tomorrow and throughout the weekend so i can come get my lower receiver :)

· Banned
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There certainly are a lot of good folks on this forum and I am deeply touched by their generosity.

· Banned
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm getting there - many thanks to Dan for the stock! Finally had some time to put it all together and still need the upper components though do have the charging handle on the way.

So, here is what we have so far:

MAG Tactical Systems lower receiver
DPMS lower parts kit
CAA 6 position butt stock (thank you so much Dan).

Bushmaster charging handle is on it's way... Working on getting upper parts now. :)

The libtards will be so pissed off! :D

Edit - all put together on the kitchen table too :) (Wife wan't too happy but didn't complain (much) ;)

Attachments

· Registered
5,963 Posts
Lookin' good, lookin' good!
I like the recoil pad affixed and of course, serves as a few good purposes.
Been wanting to add one to mine so it'll "stay" where you lean it without worry
of it sliding.

· Premium Member
12,962 Posts
Lookin good....

· Banned
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really like it so far. Just trying to find the upper parts now (or a complete upper that I can afford). We have to come up with the $600 for my wife's green card renewal first though - that has top priority.

I'll take the lower down to my local FFL when he's home this week. He has all the tools and I need to use his wrench to tighten the castle nut of the stock.

I'm getting there though :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.