Many thanks

Discussion in 'VMBB General Discussion' started by inplanotx, Mar 8, 2003.

1. inplanotx

inplanotx Active Member

TF118
    (2/27/03 6:54:42 pm)
    Reply Many thanks
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'd like to take time to thank ya'all for welcoming me into your group and a special thanks to those who've posted all those pic's for me !! I hope I can contribute something to the forum & I'm not shy so feel free to fire away and ask me anything that on your mind and if I can answer it I will, if I can't I'll try to find the answer.
    I also want to thank all the Veterans from Nam for their service and for paving the way for us Gulf War Vet's with the VA. Ya'all took out a bunch of the red tape and also took the time to help get our GWV organization's off the ground up and running. Vietnam Veteran's organizations played a large part in and assisted disabled GWV like myself in getting their claims submited and approved .
    My hat's off to you all .
    Gabby

TallTLynn
    *VMBB Staff*
    (2/27/03 8:27:35 pm)

Re: Many thanks
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Speaking as a VA employee - I'm just glad that the red tape to a great degree has been removed for some of you.

Truly wish there wasn't any red tape for any of the vets.

TF118
    (2/27/03 8:46:15 pm)
    Reply Re: Many thanks
    Roger that T...guess I should add that while I've encountered a few problem's with the VA that they were few and mainly due to poor policy ...most of the VA personnel have been helpful ...especially the Veterans !
    But like you said "shouldn't be any red tape''

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (3/1/03 1:15:51 am)
    Fortunately for me TF, I have not had any need for the VA. Although, I have been told I should go just for the experience. LOL

I remember when I was discharged from the Army I was told to go to the VA center near our town because of quite a few job positions that were open. So away I went, went in for my interview and the first item that was noticed was my recent military. Got immediately asked about my tour in Nam. Then I got politely told there were no positions open to me ,that the positions that were open were all going to be filled by DAC's (Dept. Army Civies). Needless to say, I left there with a few choice words under by breath and never returned to a VA.

I do hope I never need them.

Hope

TF118
    (3/1/03 7:57:23 pm)
    Hope you never need'em either Hope .... however don't let one negative experience keep you from going in should you ever have a need for them....times have changed and the VA also has / is changing as more and more Vets are working for them & more Veterans group's influence the gov. law / policy makers...I was in Ga. when I first needed them and luckily I got a Dr. that was pro vet & not a ''Co. man'', he knew what was wrong with me and that it was serious & service connected ...he also knew the VA & DOD's position on Gulf War Illness...so he told me how to get service connected under the 'Undiagnosed illness' rule for GWV's...then he contacted somebody else higher up the VA chain of command who wanted to remain anonymous (not to me, but didn't wish for us to say he told us anything) he was already in hot water for saying we were sick & it is service connected ...then they told me to go thru my Congressman because he was pro Vet and could get my exam expedited ...he guided me thru the whole process step by step & put me in contact with other Vets that could help me. The only problem area for me was the VA Regional office in Atlanta Ga. But the 'hands on' personnel for the most part were great.
    I moved back home up north and the Regional office & hospital personnel & Dr.'s were all very helpful . They made sure I got every Grant available to me and that I got the rating due me, 100% service connected with a SMC rating R2...maximum rating for compensation with aid & attendance. And made it retroactive !!
    So all 'n' all it’s the people working at / for the VA working more and more for the Veterans...it aint perfect ...yet...but it’s getting better all the time !!

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (3/2/03 12:18:44 am)
    TF,

I often thought what would have happen if I had of went there for medical help. I don't believe the outcome would have been any better at that time.

I do realize now the VA has changed quite a bit since those days and I am glad the vets have it easier, especially those who honestly and truly need them. Such as you TF and the many like you. As in anything there are the ones who do not really need the help but are the first to receive and then sit back and try to figure out how to beat the system to get more.

Hope

TF118
    (3/2/03 2:14:27 pm)
    I'm afraid that's gonna always be ...I'd rather have the service of the VA obtainable easily to those who need it and not worry about the few freeloaders than to make it more centered on keeping out the few freeloaders and have even one Vet needing and deserving left out or denied because the rules where made to keep out the gold brickers and no consideration for the difficultly placed on the ones their trying to help.