MARC C GORHAM ((( PART 2 )))

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forums - A Place For All Vets Fro' started by cpt-t, Jan 9, 2016.

1. SkeeterDope

SkeeterDope Well-Known Member

No explanation necessary. You're preachin to the choir Capt-t having summed up how I feel in those words. I too miss those days in the suc and the spree de corps. Knowing that no matter what we had each others six to the very end. Those type relationships don't exist in civilian life at least for me they don't. You can't explain to those who haven't walked through hell the rush that makes you feel more alive in every cell, yet time slows to a crawl and your vision narrows but your focused. If I could only turn back the clock....

cpt-t and rooter like this.
  2. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Good Morning Cap and Sketter....I have shared these stories and postings with another Seabee who saw much
    of Khe Sanh RVN at it's worst...Ken, back on 8 February I mentioned an old shipmate, Donnie who he and I were mere teen-aged boys down in the Philippines in the early 50's....I'll simply tell you his name as I call him ...MAC...so very proud of his Irish heritage and the area of Philie PA that he hails from. His message this morning was about being with Donnie at Khe Sanh ...Donnie was then E-8...one day into his 3rd tour to country:

You know about your friend CPO Don who was killed at KheSanh in 1967. It still haunts me to have seen what was left of his head and scull fragments with hair on the ground adjacent to our main Seabee bunker. Chief Barnes was a very nice man from my old Phila. neighborhood. A career Seabee who risked his life and lost it. That's sadly really duty.
    Still I'm ashamed to have never visited his widow and children on Theodore St. just around the corner from St. Barnabas Church & School.
    I'm still feeling guilty for having left that aside for so many 49 years ago.
    And I'm really still disgusted with myself, shameful.
    When I had the chance to visit THE WALL in DC .. I just couldn't do it. Some other mates from my battalion are listed there among thousands of Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, etc.
    What a dreadful waste?!
    When I finished my second tour of RVN and got home thinking I put all that behind me. My target was UP for my architectural degree.
    Let's just say that "It was meant."
    Sad to say though -- those who lost there lives in an insane war where I served twice .... still hurts. I became a volunteer in Black Neighborhoods in Phila. I was later Chief Architect at PHA for a few years.
    Now I'm retired with many regrets and some successes.

Mac knows about Marc Gorman for I fwd'd both I and II stories along to him...Hang tough...Chief (Rooter)

cpt-t likes this.

3. cpt-t

cpt-t Active Member

rooter: Thanks again, for any help you can help me with. I can`t tell you how much I appreciate your help.
    ken

4. rooter

Ken...good afternoon from Arizona...I contacted a former Navy Seabee who does an article
    called FALLEN BROTHERS on our Seabee Smug Mug site...He researches all of the information
    about the Faller Seabees be it accidents or actions of war....I asked Don to honor your request about Marc and he fwd'd the following back to me...If we could just get one of those who added remarks there about Marc to go thru with your request about the coin on the grave marker and relay your message to Marc...do you want to try that Ken? Let me know...Don Howlett is the former Seabee who aided you with this...May the Lord's blessings be your constant companion... Chief

Well here go John, info on Mr. Gorham

http://www.vvmf.org/Wall-of-Faces/19305/MARC-C-GORHAM

http://www.virtualwall.org/dg/GorhamMC01a.htm

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=gorham&GSfn=marc&GSiman=1&GScid=39562&GRid=3899338&

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    cpt-t and SkeeterDope like this.
  5. cpt-t

cpt-t Active Member

rooter: I will be indebted to You and Mr Don Howlett for ever, I can`t thank the two of You enough. Yes I would like for You Guys to try to get some one place a quarter ((( Heads Up ))) on Marc`s grave stone for me. And tell Marc that I have never forgotten Him, that I think about Him and dream about Him most every day and night. And I wear a silver bracelet with His name on it on my right wrist. It appears that MARC was laid to rest in a beautiful Cemetery. And because of the American Flag place at His Gravesite, some one must be visiting Him I am so glad of that, for I have always been worried about that, I did not want Him to be left alone. He was a handsome and always a very kind and very trust worthy young man. He missed His 19th Birthday by about 2 months. It`s been almost 48 years, since 09:15 hrs 12-30-68. When I got Him Killed in a small stream about 25 to 30 yards wide and about waist deep about 10 klicks south east of Lai Khi South Viet Nam. I am sorry but everything is swirling around pretty fast for me right now, and I am not really thinking very straight, and my screen is getting more blurry all the time, I will try to finish this at a later time . Thanks again to ROOTER & DON HOWLETT I owe you two more than I can ever repay you.
    ken

6. rooter

Good Morning, Ken....I copied and fwd'd your message along to Don Howlett and I know he will respect
    your statements of appreciation...I often visit with folks about cemeteries for I remember as a young farm boy
    there in the Heartland of America that on Decoration Day, visiting so many of those ancient old places ..some
    lonely, hillside that had been selected years before as a graveyard...an area with good soil drainage and an
    area that couldn't be plowed and harvested...taking care of the gravesites of people you didn't even know
    for their kin had all gone away or died...Ken, perhaps you can touch up with Marc's brothers...I noted his parents
    are gone...that quarter on his marker now to me would be a challenge I'd just not be able to leave alone...impose
    to the staff there at the cemetery...I'd do it for the sheer testament of having done something different. May the
    Lord's blessings and comfort abide with you each day and night...Chief

Willamette National Cemetery - Happy Valley, Oregon ...
    https://www.facebook.com/.../Willamette-National-Cemetery/112871235...
    Rating: 4.7 - ‎93 votes
    Willamette National Cemetery and Staff provide the most professional and sincere services possible. Arlington has its notoriety, but Willamette has its Solace ...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    cpt-t likes this.
  7. cpt-t

cpt-t Active Member

rooter: I just finished talking to JAMES SCHROM who works at the WILLAMETTE NATIONAL CEMETERY in Happy Valley Oregon. And He said he would place a ((( QUARTER ))) heads up on MARC`s grave stone yet today for me. And He said, He would deliver my message to MARC as well. So, because of You and DON HOWLETT a very large part of my personal Bucket List has been completed now. I doubt very much that I would ever have been able to have made the trip out to Oregon to deliver my message personally. And after this has taken me so long, MARC may have very well, have not wanted me to come there now. As far as contacting MARC`s brother, after many years of calling phone number of Gorham`s in the blind that telephone operators gave me for the Portland Or area. I finally called the right number and was able to speak with MARC`s brother. And the Phone Call did not go well. I thought He would want to know about how MARC had died. But all he wanted was to talk about was how he was a Squad leader in Korea while he was in the Army, at about the same time period and how hard that duty was for him. And that he was just as important as MARC was. And when I ask him, didn't he wanted to know anything about MARC`s death. He said for me to just go ahead it was my nickle, and the conversation went down hill from there. And I finally just gave him my phone number and hung up. And I have never called call his brother back nor has he called me. Thanks again for all the help both of You and Don Howlett have given me. I can`t say Thank You enough.
    ken

8. rooter

Good Afternoon Ken...thank you for the followup details ...I copied it and sent it along to Don Howlett for his
    information and I am sure, his pleasure in being of assistance..It is unfortunate that Marc's brother treated
    the situation as he did...nothing fit better than to comment, "IT TAKES ALL KINDS"! Ken, it pleases me beyond words to have been able to help you in your time of need...Chief

cpt-t likes this.
  9. cpt-t

cpt-t Active Member

CHIEF: What can I say, other than Thank You, Thank You so very much. I would like to Thank You in person but, I dought, I`ll be making any more trips as far as Arizona any more. My Wife`s health has failed, and She can`t travel any more. She is not bed rest but She spends most of Her time in bed, and She is getting more confused all the time. And She is taking a lot of very high powdered meds to make Her pain tolerable. It sure is a pain in the butt to get old isn't it.
    ken

rooter likes this.
  10. rooter

Ken, there are conclusions to any situation or problem...in my long years here on the planet, almost all of my
    discouragements are concluded somehow...I think I have something that both you and your ailing wife would
    find pleasing and agreeable in. your life. Get me your mailing address thru the US Postal and I will send you
    that of which I speak.. If you are reluctant to post your address, mine is:
    JOHN WILBORN 5825 WEST SUNNYSLOPE LANE GLENDALE, AZ. 85302....Best regards, Chief

cpt-t likes this.
  11. cpt-t

cpt-t Active Member

CHIEF: Sorry for taking so long, to answer You. Been a little under the weather today, Though I was coming down with the Flu, even tho I have taken my Flu Shot. My address is Kenneth Tucker 6789 E Bromley Circle Wichita Ks 67226. I wanted to see where MARC was buried, but thought I would be asking just to much, to ask for a picture. And then there the picture was. When I seen the location of His grave site it looked so quite and peaceful. And I can just see MARC sitting in the shade and leaning His back up against that large tree to the left and rear of His Grave Site. I have seen Him do this quite often when we had any down time. Sitting there with his small Tape Recorder sending a tape, to His Mother or listening to one from Her. Setting in the shade, leaning up against a Rubber Tree. As I said MARC was a fine Young Man. He always did His share and usually more, never seen Him one time shirk. He was a very Honest and Trustworthy Young Man. But He had a look of innocence about him , or at least I thought He did. And when I looked at MARC`s picture, I could still see that look. MARC died so young that He never had a chance to experience a lot of what life is all about. He was a Good Man, and a Outstanding Soldier. MARC was my Friend and I thought the world of Him. And I miss Him. You would have liked Him.
    ken

rooter likes this.
  12. rooter

GOOD MORNING, KEN...I am sure Marc would be pleased and proud with that testimonial of his character and
    pleasing personality...seldom does one hear such a commitment to another person, and in the case of a
    military person, this one is the most sincere I have ever read...be proud of your association with Marc...perhaps
    there will be a time according to our Christians beliefs, you shall be together as friends you were here on God's Green Earth...thanks for the address...I'll follow up on it and stay in touch...Chief

cpt-t likes this.
  13. cpt-t

cpt-t Active Member

CHIEF: I will look forward to that, and I will do the same.
    TAKE CARE MY FRIEND:
    ken

14. rooter

I'VE COPIED YOU ADDRESS AND EARLY NEXT WEEK I'LL GET A BOX I'LL MAIL YOU...CHIEF

cpt-t likes this.
  15. cpt-t

cpt-t Active Member

CHIEF: You have already done far more, than I ever expected anyone to do for me. And I truly dought I will ever be able to repay You for what You have done for me.
    TAKE CARE MY FRIEND:
    ken