MARC C GORHAM ((( PART ONE )))

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forums - A Place For All Vets Fro' started by cpt-t, Jan 8, 2016.

1. cpt-t

cpt-t Member

MARC: Was born on 02-05-1950 and He was KIA in Viet Nam on 12-30-1968 0915hrs . And He is buried at the Willamette National Cemetery in Portland Or. And I would like to ask a favor of any one living near that area of Portland Or. If they would be willing to go to that cemetery and find Marc`s grave site and place a quarter ((( Heads Up ))) on the top of Marc`s grave stone for me. And tell Marc that I am so very sorry, for what I let happen to Him. I would be forever indebted to you, and would try very hard to,in some way to repay You.

MARC: Arrived in country on the 11th of Nov 1968 and He was assigned to the 1st Platoon of ALPA Company Second of the Second Inf, 1st Infantry Division. We were a Mechanized Infantry Rifle Company, and not to brag but we were one of the best Units in Viet Nam. MARC became my RTO ((( Radio Telephone Operator ))) right after He was assigned to my PLT. So from then on we were hardly ever more than arms lengths away from each other day or night. MARC had a sorta of innocence about him that would let others take advantage of him, maybe it was because He was so dam young, just 18yrs old, and because of that maybe I tried to watch after Him even more. MARC never shirked and always did more than His share of what ever we were doing at the time. He could do what ever was excepted and needed of Him in a Fire Fight, on a Search and Destroy Patrol, or on a Night Ambush. But I could tell It bothered Him more than the rest of us. Most of us became very hardened to what was going on around us, emotions and personnel feelings were suppressed and held back deep in side of our selves and the old saying of ((( IT DON`T MEAN NOTHING ))) fit us extremely well. And most of us learned to use Hate and Anger to our own personnel advantage, it just made it easier to get the job done, and the pain didn't hurt so much if at all and you were because of the anger stronger. And you never got to tired that you couldn't function for you could always reach down in pocket and pull out another 25% that was held in reserve. But MARC was different some what, for I never could teach him to hate the VC & NVA as most of us, especially me did. MARC fought just as hard in a Fire Fight as any of us and more than some of us, and He always did share and He was definitely a casualty producer. And to be just real honest, MARC was good in a fight and He was respected for that unique quality. But MARC did not take any personnel satisfaction for any of those talents, and it troubled Him far more than He let on. For really He had a gentle soul, and even tho that got in the way at times all the Platoon respected and envied Him for that unique quality. MARC was a Good Man, a Good Soldier, and He was my Good Friend and You would have liked Him

I will try to finish this later my screen is getting blurry and I am tired. I don`t tell this story very often. I hope You don`t mind
    ken

GunFighter Mech. and rooter like this.
  2. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Ken, from our limited exchanges we have been having on MARC C. GORMAN (Part 2) I've posted remarks
    on our Seabee Smug Mug site about the favor you ask of the Portland area troops here in MARC C. GORMAN
    Part (1)...If I have overstepped at all by using the term of our meeting by my counseling you, please forgive me
    as I needed an explanation for not having known you personally...I meant no offense.. Posted 2/21/16 Chief

MARC: Was born on 02-05-1950 and He was KIA in Viet Nam on 12-30-1968 0915hrs . And He is buried at the Willamette National Cemetery in Portland Or. And I would like to ask a favor of any one living near that area of Portland Or. If they would be willing to go to that cemetery and find Marc`s grave site and place a quarter ((( Heads Up ))) on the top of Marc`s grave stone for me. And tell Marc that I am so very sorry, for what I let happen to Him. I would be forever indebted to you, and would try very hard to,in some way to repay You.

cpt-t likes this.

3. cpt-t

cpt-t Member

rooter: Any help that You can give to me, on getting the favor I asked for completed. Of getting some one in the Portland Or area to go to the Willamette National Cemetery there, and find MARC`s grave site. And to place a quarter, for me ((( HEADS UP ))) on the top of MARC`s grave stone. I would be in Your Debt for ever. And Thanks for Your help, how ever it turns out.
    ken