The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a marlin 1894 --cal 44/40 made about 1915 - that has some unusual markings -

In several places it is marked "H.O.P." and "W.C.C" .
The marks appear to be individual 5/32 stamps. Perhaps the stamps were held in a fixture as they are evenly placed.

May years ago, about 1965, I also had a colt SA revolver 32/20 with the same markings -
About the same time another fellow in the mid west also possessed a colt SA with the same markings -- He had written to Q&A in shooting times or perhaps gun report asking for info.
Also at that time my letter to the NRA experts resulted in a couple of conjectures but no actual knowledge of these marks --

A lot of time has passed since then and with tons of info now much more readily available does anyone have a clue to their meaning??

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Not even a wag...a few pics might help...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Could be anything. In 1984, an older gentleman--a former head taxidermist at the Natural History Museum in Washington, DC. Had a beautiful 16 gauge double barrel Parker shotgun with NHM stamped underneath the receiver. When he retired, he "forgot" to return this jewel to the museum. His widow returned it--would love to know where it is now....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts