The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a marlin 19s shotgun and have a couple of questions one how do you know if the pin that holds the lock up on the gun is good as everybody you talk to tells you not to shoot it until you know pin is not worn. so where do I look for this pin. two is there really a differences from high and low brass in shooting this gun. I was told there is no differences in modern ammo from high to low brass.

·
Premium Member
9,576 Posts
Mike this is what I could find about your shotgun.
During 1998,Marlin issued a service bulletin recommending that the slide action exposed hammer Models 1898, 16, 17, 19, 19s, 19g,19s 21, 24, 24g, 26, 30, 42, 49, and 49n,in addition to hammerless Models 28, 31, 43, 44, 53,and 63 should NOT be fired,as many of these guns 70-100 years old, and system failures can and do happen.
They were made for black powder or early low pressure smokeless powder and lead shot.
They were not made to handle any modern shells.
So I would say weather the pin is worn or not I would not shoot it.
Mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks goofy I know about the service bulletin from marlin they released it when cowboy action shooters were taking 19s shotguns and making them into frankenshotguns that were not holding up to the tricks to make them shoot faster what I need to know is where is the pin for lock up located and my question about high and low brass

1 - 3 of 3 Posts