Marlin 336 RC Iron Sight problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by missourikid, Nov 17, 2015.

1. missourikid

missourikid Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble sighting my Uncle's Marlin 336 RC Iron sight. It is shooting 2 feet high and 1 foot to the right and when I put my borelight in the barrel it shows the sight align up perfectly, so when I take it back out and try it its still doing it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If the bore light says it is on then it is a good chance it is you pulling your shot.
    Is it a laser?
    Are you using it at the distance that you are shooting?.
    If yes to those questions then it is you.
    We all pull our shots that is why when a gun is bore sighted in you still have to fire it and adjust for your pull and eyes.
    Bench shoot it so you are not holding the gun just squeezing the trigger using bags or a lead sled.
    Mike.

3. missourikid

It is a laser, and at the distance that we can actually see a deer to shoot is 100 ft. I forgot to try the bench shoot since we usually free hand all of our shots any way, but the gun being off kinda ruined my weekend.

4. carver

carver Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Did your uncle shoot it? Did he take deer with it? If he did, then the problem is with you. However, when I bought my Marlin .44 mag, the sights were off, and I could not "0" the rifle. I contacted Marlin, and they sent me a new rear sight step blade. Turns out they had put the wrong one on my gun. Problems solved.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    greggs and missourikid like this.
  5. missourikid

yeah he and my dad both shot it and no he missed the deer hence how we found the sights off.

6. missourikid

carver thanks it didn't dawn on me to check the bridge and it is definitely the wrong bridge so that tells me only one thing that my cousins best keep their hands off it.

7. goofy

Free hand shooting is not the way to check its sights.
    Try the bench and let us know.
    Mike

greggs, jim brady and missourikid like this.
  8. goofy

That will only help with yardage not windage.
    If the laser is on when checked with the sights a new blade will make thing easier but if it is on like you said then it will not correct your problem.
    Mike

9. goofy

I will say something else.
    Use a bench shoot it (to see were it is hitting) then put in the laser and use the sights and put them on the center of the target leave it on the bench and walk up to the target and see where the laser is. if the laser is on and the sights are on then it is you.
    Mike

10. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Recently rebuilt a Marlin 336. The rifle was passed down, and it had completely the wrong combination of sights on it. I went with a stock Marlin ladder type rear sight, and a Marble's .450 tall front sight. Have it hitting zero at 25 yards - 1.1" inch high at 50 yards, and about 1.8" inch high at 100 yards and back to I/2" high at 150 yards with reloads made to near factory specs. Brownells sells these Marbles front sights for about $9.

You will have to 'drift' either the front or the rear sight to correct for the windage. To move the impact to the left - you need to tap the front sight to the right a tad. If you decide to adjust the rear sight instead, tap it to the left. When you do this, be sure to use a small brass drift-punch, and make your adjustments in small increments. Also, be sure that you tap on the sight's dovetail BASE - not the sight itself - or you will mar and damage the sight. I use a Lyman two headed hammer that has a small brass drift in the handle.

Make sure you shoot from a solid bench when you zero your rifle. Shooting off-hand (standing) or even kneeling won't tell you anything about how your sets are set when you are either working up a load or setting the zero..

greggs and carver like this.
  11. carver

Dead on! I zero off the bench, but all of my shots are free hand, out to 100 yds. If the rifle is zeroed properly, then you can easily make good shots free handed. Either get some new sights, or have Marlin send you a new step blade for that rear sight. FORS (Front opposite Rear same).

12. goofy

Keep in mind he said that when he used a bore laser sight it matched the iron sights he has on it already.
    So changing anything will just give him better sights.
    He needs to bench it first. To see if it is the sights or him free shooting.
    I am not saying better sights will not make life easier but first he has to determine if it is the gun or him.
    So many times the gun(or sights) are blamed for off shots when it is the shooter pulling his shots not the gun.
    First determine what is the problem then chose a solution.
    Last year I missed a doe and the first thing I said is "I had to hit the scope and now it is off" when I bore sighted it. It was right on so guess what.
    IT WAS ME NOT THE GUN.
    Mike

greggs likes this.
  13. carver

If he changes the sights, he still has to zero the rifle!

greggs and goofy like this.
  14. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I bow - as always - to Mike's expert opinion. When the Poster said that he had used the bore light (laser?) and the sights lined up perfectly - yet he shot 2 feet high - makes me consider this: The line-of-sight and the center line of the bore (where the laser is pointing through) should cross at a certain distance. If the laser dot of light was "dead on" close in range, the center line (where the laser spot will show up), and the sight picture matched that spot, the front sight is too low.

I am in complete agreement that the shooter needs to fire from a solid rest at a known distance in order to see if his sight height is good or not. If he is shooting 2 feet high at 25 or 50 yards - (assuming the rear sight is set at it's lowest setting) his front sight is too short and he needs a taller one. That will bring the muzzle and bullet impact down to where he is trying to aim. (If he was shooting low, the muzzle would need to come up - and then a shorter front sight would be in order)

goofy likes this.
  15. goofy

I agree with what you said.
    I am not sure if he checked the laser at the distance he was shooting that is why I said he needs to set it up at the bench at the distance he wants to shoot and see if they line up.(the laser and the sights).
    I was going to get into the bullet arc but that could (I Think) confuse him.
    I tend to go one step at a time and was going to talk about that when I herd the results of the bench shooting and checking of the laser at that distance.
    But you are correct depending at what distance he checked the laser and what distance he is shooting will make a BIG difference.
    Mike
    PS Thanks for the "Expert" but that does not mean I am always right and that can be pointed out in some of my posts.;)