The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who's got one? (Or a Camp 45)

Here is mine. Blackjack Buffer, and upgraded 11# SS recoil spring. Bushnell MP Trophy red/green T dot sight. SMG 31 round mag installed. Have (Uhmn) a few. 500 lumen instant on light.

Share mags with my S&W 5906 (9mm) Semi auto handgun. Big fan of rifle/handgun combos.

20201129_120645.jpg

·
Registered
215 Posts
Nice set up! I had one in .45 I got when they first came out (Mid 80's?). I never really shot it that much but when I did about 4 years ago the buffer had disintegrated, so I upgraded the buffer and spring (black jack and Wolf). and sold it for about $750 to a guy from NJ. I replaced it with a ATN Areo carbine .45 and takes Glock mags. and a quick change bbl.

·
Super Moderator
40,189 Posts
I don't have a Marlin carbine but I do have one of the Beretta CX4 in 9mm and a Highpoint carbine in .45 ACP, both are extremely fun to play with!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I did the same thing, I sold or traded things too early, now look at the prices, I once had a HK940 in 30-06, it was a sporting semi auto it had a detachable mags in 5-10 rounds. Quick detachable scope mount and a flash hider, I think i paid around $630.00 for the gun, scope mount and two 10 round mags in 1983. I got it because NJ was banning "Assault" rifles and this was not on the list. I sold in 1996 for around $1,000.00, a few months ago just for the heck of it I looked it up on an auction site. There were two, starting price was $5,600.00, a ten round mag was $500.00!
Then there were some I did not have much choice, NJ put out a list of things that were banned, even some things that I had purchased with a NJ pistol permit. I no longer live there, I just hope things don't go that way here.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
I see Ruger's version of the "Camp Carbine" first offered in 9mm is now available in .40caliber. Why the .40 and not the .45?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I see Ruger's version of the "Camp Carbine" first offered in 9mm is now available in .40caliber. Why the .40 and not the .45?
I don't understand that either, since the .40 has sort of dropped in in popularity in recent years. I would like to see Ruger make a new model of their .44 mag carbine but in .45acp, no mags needed. Just a pocket full of shells!

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
I imagine it has to do with two things. Size, the 40 is an easier fit into the platform than the larger 45. Popularity, bean counters only look at the bottom line. While many of us dinosaurs like the 45 and understand what it brings to the table many younger shooters consider it the ultimate FUD round.
I have a Beretta storm carbine in 45acp that was stored at our oldests while we were recovering from Michael storm damage. This Thanksgiving I was anxious to bring the guns that were kept safe at sons home. Due to the deteriorating social conditions we find ourselves in my DIL, who has shown zero interest in guns in fact she was somewhat puzzled by my collection, hinted that it would be ok to leave a gun for her to have in these uncertain times. He has Glock 45 and a AR but she is not comfortable with them. Long story short the Berretta Storm 45 carbine stayed with her as it was the best fit for her IMO. Low recoil, easy to use, lower report than most options and hits with enough authority. PCC are a good fit for people like my DIL IMO. They really aren’t a bad choice for most, they have many positive attributes. Not sure if I will ever reclaim the Storm, it is were it is needed.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I used to live in extreme NW NJ, right on the State line with NY. I could literally throw a rock from my back yard in to NY. Had a 1947 Chestnut Log cabin on Greenwood lake. AT right behind the house, beautiful area, Bear everywhere. West Milford NJ, Warwick, NY area. I feel your pain about NJ restrictive Gun Laws, CS4570. I was happy to put that area in my rear view mirror, when I was able to move back down to the Extreme NE TN/ W NC area about 9 years ago.

I own a nice Ruger .44mag Carbine paired with a Ruger Super Blackhawk in. 44mag.

(And) a Kel-Tec Sub2K in the venerable .40 cal, paired up with a Glock mdl 22 (.40 cal) that shares mags. (Have several [4 or 5] 33 round mags. (This is my get home kit that resides in a vehicle.) Locked Trunk bolted to the floor.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I used to live in extreme NW NJ, right on the State line with NY. I could literally throw a rock from my back yard in to NY. Had a 1947 Chestnut Log cabin on Greenwood lake. AT right behind the house, beautiful area, Bear everywhere. West Milford NJ, Warwick, NY area. I feel your pain about NJ restrictive Gun Laws, CS4570. I was happy to put that area in my rear view mirror, when I was able to move back down to the Extreme NE TN/ W NC area about 9 years ago.

I own a nice Ruger .44mag Carbine paired with a Ruger Super Blackhawk in. 44mag.

(And) a Kel-Tec Sub2K in the venerable .40 cal, paired up with a Glock mdl 22 (.40 cal) that shares mags. (Have several [4 or 5] 33 round mags. (This is my get home kit that resides in a vehicle.) Locked Trunk bolted to the floor.
I too live in W NC, been here about three years (spent 6 years in SE WV). I have the TNW Areo carbine in .45, Glock 41 and 30s

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Picture Donald Sutherland in "The Dirty Dozen," when he is impersonating a General inspecting the troops.

"Never heard of it."

Will have to look it up. What's it near?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Snowing there? Woke up to 4" this AM, at least 6" on the ground and in the trees here now. Beautiful out. Supposed to be 19° tonight. Have had several bouts of heavy wind/whiteout conditions. 1st Winter Storm so far, this year. Love it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Next hard to find item is an IDI Timberwolf .357 pump to go with my .357 revolver.
Will settle for a .357 lever action, if I have to.
Really been lusting after a Timberwolf though.

Anyone here have one? (Color me jealous.)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Handled, but never owned a Timberwolf pump. I've had four Camp 9s since they were introduced though. I found my current 9N model several years ago. Going to try to hang on to this one. FWIW, I used 21# Wolff recoil springs in my Camp 9s for years. With the 21#, even standard pressure 9MM extracted and ejected reliably. Most Camp 9 owners seem to prefer the 16 1/2# recoil springs in their Camp 9s. Having used both, I wouldn't go lighter than the 16 1/2#. The 11# recoil spring you mention is really light. Neat little guns in any case(y)
Marlin 9N 001 (640x480).jpg

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I'll play I have a Camp 9mm with Blackjack buffer and a 16.5 spring. Fun gun, chews thru ammo like crazy and gets filthy. Not sure what optic I have on it right now its been buried in the safe for a long time. I have 10, 15, 20 and 30 round mags for it.

1 Camp 9.jpg

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I honestly could not remember the # recoil spring I put in. I knew it was either 11 or 16. I shot from the hip and SWAG'd it. My excuse is I am getting older, I'm sticking with that. My bad.

*I thought per my research back in the day when I ordered my Spring that the 11# was for the Camp 9, and the 16# was for the Camp 45?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts