Marlin model 60 Quirks

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by M4Eagle, Sep 18, 2014.

1. M4Eagle

M4Eagle Member

I've owned numerous firearms of many many calibers including a lot of 22 LR.. But I decided I wanted a classic Marlin 60 after going decades with just Ruger.
    I am by no means a gun novice, so when I had major difficulty reassembling the Marlin after cleaning I was unhappy but challenged.
    The mod 60 recoil rod n spring are a bear to get in properly without kinking the spring or repeating operation many times to get charging handle to seat n function properly.

Once last week when I managed to kink the spring I was able to carefully n slowly reshape it with small needle nose pliers. The Model 60 is a challenge to my gun knowledge and patience..... So why do I still love it.
    Gee I guess because it came out in 1960.... A VERY good year in America. Lol

Rocketman1 and todd51 like this.
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome Eagle. You aren't the first nor will you be the last to kink that Marlin spring. A few years back there was a lot of discussion here on the forum pertaining a new shooter and her new Marlin 60 that one of the members had given to her. I had never had one of the Marlins but happened to be in the local gun shop perusing the used gun offering when I saw this nice little Marlin 60 (not as old as yours) for only $120 and I fell to the temptation a brought it home and put a low cost scope I had in a drawer. Sweet little shooter and the next trip to the range we were shooting paint balls glued to cardboard at 50 yards. Not a hit every time but they were all close enough to bring on smiles. So far I have not kinked the spring but there is always the next time I tear it down, ha. DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0005-001.JPG

3. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum m4Eagle, I don't have a Marlin 60, but I do have a browning sa.22, and you have to be real careful not to kink the recoil spring on it too. You almost need 3 hands to get it back into place. So far I have been lucky and haven't messed it up yet. Enjoy your marlin.

Big Shrek and M4Eagle like this.
  4. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I have never had a problem re-installing the spring in my Marlin(knock on wood), but I can see how it could be easily kinked. I install one end of the spring into the breach bolt, and then I hold the unsupported part of the spring between the fingers of my left hand (end with no rod through it) while using the other hand to slip the breach bolt in place. Then compress the breach bolt and spring a little, lift it up slightly and slide in the charging handle.

Big Shrek and todd51 like this.
  5. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Usually folks fall in love with 'em due to the accuracy...Marlin makes a mighty fine barrel :)
    Takes a bit of practice to get used to installing the recoil spring without kinking...

The other thing you have to watch is the Ejector spring...
    placement should be One Nickel Width high, & one N/W towards the center
    of the feed throat...anything else tends to mean less than optimal ejection.

Rocketman1 likes this.