Marlin model 989 MR .22 cal rifle

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by jstouppe, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 775barber

775barber New Member

ok. so i am cleaning my rifle and looking for what you said. my roll stamp is on the left. there is no code. my serial is on the left side as well. like i said there is a code inside the receiver. but the site provided is not recognizing it. no code under the roll stamp. at first i figured it was a replacement but my stamp does indicate it is a 989m2. the mags are fun. i am working with it so it works properly.

2. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

I'd go with the 69xxxxx/1969 as being the date of production.

After further thought, it might have very well been a 1965 60/99 reciever that wasn't used/serial-stamped until 1969...
    it ain't unheard of for someone to sit something under a bench for a few years and forget about it, then find it when cleaning a few years/decades later ;)

I've found my fair share of hidden leftovers from the past cleaning up after an employee left the company...
    Five 25 year old 1.75 bottles of Crown Royal stuck on top of a defunct cooler...talk about some niiiiiiiice Crown :)

3. 775barber

775barber New Member

aaahhh you are probably right! i agree. thanks!

4. logansc123

logansc123 New Member

i just got a this rifle that use to be my grandfathers before he passed its a marlin model 989 m2 the serial number is 69251312 i assume the first two numbers on it is the year which would mean it was made in 1969 i was wondering if im correct with the year and what else you guys could tell me about this rifle
    thanks

5. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Yep, 1969.
    Heck, there's plenty of info in this thread alone to keep one busy...
    Basically they are the same as the Marlin 70/70HC/995/795...just a few minor differences over the years...

I will note that in the matter of Hi-Cap mags...
    a few months ago I finally had the issue so many complain about with the Shooter's Ridge/Champion 25-rd mags...
    I had kept the rifles & mags in locked hard cases inside my van for several hours...
    then went to the range on a nice 85-degree day...where the mags started springing apart...
    2 out of 3 Champion mags completely failed, right at the top where the sections were glued together...
    the Promags, due to a better design, had Zero Issues.

Since that time I've Epoxy'd the Champion Mags so that they will likely never fail again...
    so if one has the Shooter's Ridge/Champion mags, be aware that plastic epoxy is in your future...
    on the upside, after you use a Quality epoxy, it is unlikely you'll ever have issues with them again :)

6. Andy R

Andy R New Member

I have an original manual/parts list for it.

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to The Fireaems Forum Andy.

Just so you will not be expecting an answer from the OP, he made that one post back on December 4, 2010 and never came back.

rawright54 likes this.
  8. Timatrimmer

Timatrimmer New Member

I have a 989 mr2 from 1976. I want to put a tactical stock on it. What stocks can I use and what modifications need to be done?

9. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This is a very old thread. You may want to start a new one.

joe45c likes this.
  10. Jacob Nelson

Jacob Nelson New Member

I have a 989 M2 with serial number 25380256, How old is my rifle? Also I'm replacing Recoil spring, firing pin, and my entire sideplate assembly, any advice for me?
    Thanks.

11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Jacob, start a new thread with the information on your gun with pictures. This thread is 6 years old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.