matching federal

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

4sixty
    (12/14/02 10:20:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All matching federal
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    was wondering does anyone know what kind of powder manufactures use like federal,, can't get a group from my 22-250 as good as the federal bullets that come from the factory, they are awesome! but kinda like to reload my own, is there any way to find out what they use for powder? what about rem and winchester? what do they use?,, seems like factory ammo has come a long way,,, thanks for any help,,,,

dcs cuz
    (12/19/02 4:11:00 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: matching federal
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Federal will not come off any data , been there tried that .
    The only answer I could get from them on loading for the 308 Winchester was that IMR 4895 was the closest to what they use .
    As for the 22-250, H380 is the best I have found .

Edited by: dcs cuz at: 12/19/02 4:31:52 pm

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/19/02 5:41:42 pm)
    Hi guys! Welcome to the forum.

As for factory rounds. If you found one that really groups good in you 22-250 be happy. You can find a combination that will do just as well, it just takes time. If you try different powders, and different grain weights, you can get awsome groups.

I have had great results with Varget, and H380. Once you found a combination, don't expect it to work in any other firearm of the same caliber. That is why getting other peoples combinations and expecting them to group great is a bad idea. It may be a good place to start, but you will have to refine it to your barrel.

Hey, Bin Lauden, our women can kick you butt!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/19/02 6:08:26 pm)
    Ditto on the Welcome to the forum, guys - hope you enjoy it here.

As to factory load powders, the ammo manufacturers consider that a propriatery item and will not devulge. The powder manufacturers that supply it to them, for obvious reasons, will not say, also.

As stated, Hodgdon H380 and Varget are very good powders for the 22-250.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello all and Merry Christmas New guy here

boondocker6
    (12/19/02 10:30:16 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Hello all and Merry Christmas New guy here

Hello fellas

I am new here but not to loading. I currently load 45 acp, 357,9mm, 380 . In rifle I load 222,25-06 ,30-06. I will be picking at your mind as I am always ready to learn something new. My gear is a Dillon 550 , Lyman and Lee with assorted Dies. I also cast my pistol slugs out of w/w .

Steve

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/19/02 10:40:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hello all and Merry Christmas New guy here
    We'll be looking for your participation on the forum, Boondocker.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/20/02 12:22:53 am)
    Merry Christmas right back at ya...and welcome aboard.

swede
    Wyoming Swede

Ballistic
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/20/02 6:09:48 am)
    sorry im am new to reloading, what is w/w?

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/20/02 7:56:39 am)
    wheel weights.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/20/02 9:59:46 am)
    Welcome, brother of the Dillon.

GG

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/20/02 10:01:58 am)
    By the way - have had a Dillon since the early 1980s, and it is still cranking away after 1,000s of rounds!

Welcome to the forums!