The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,572 Posts
It could also be that neither one can be used in it. The 8MM-06 is a wild cat that is made by necking a .30-06 case to 8MM. A.30-06 bullet will rattle down the 8MM bore and an 8MM Mauser cartridge is smaller than the .30-06 case. Take it to a qualified gunsmith and have a chamber cast done so you know exactly what it's chambered for.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Probably not ... right after WWII there were plenty of 8mm Mausers floating around and plenty made into sporters but at that time hunting ammo and any foriegn hunting ammo was nearly impossible . You didn't see too many "metric" calibers .
Dad told me they would pull the bullet of a 8mm Mauser Military round and replace it with a soft nose ... they could reload but 99% of WWII ammo brass was Berdan primed and not easy to decap and reload .
The simple answer was the 30-06 ... plenty of GI brass , all Boxer primed and reloadable . The simplest conversion was take a chamber reamer and ream the 8 X 57 chamber out to take the 30-06 ... now you have a 8mm ( .323") 06 or 8mm/06 ... loading data is given in the Speer #8 and Speer #9 loading manuals ... #9 is dated Oct. 1976 ... RCBS used to carry reloading dies .
I would , because of the way it's marked , bet money it is a 8mm/06 or a 30-06 case necked up to 8mm .
Speer claims this is a good round for hunting ,
Gary

·
Registered
614 Posts
Thanks I appreciate your input!
JR
If you reload , RCBS , Redding , Hornady, Lyman and Lee make/made dies for this caliber . If the rifle looks like it might be a keeper brass and bullets aren't hard to come by .
If you don't reload but would like to dabble in it ... Lee Hand Press Kit and a set of dies will get you started nicely .
The Lee Hand Press is one of ther better idea's and works like a charm .
Gary

·
Registered
204 Posts
Looking back, I do wish I'd spent more time (and money) investing in WW2 Milsurp weapons like the Mauser action European variety. My Arisaka rifle turned out to be a fine, reliable Hunter. When I read these posts about others having these, I remember how much joy and experience I had with mine. As I search online to see what the currant Milsurp market has to offer, I'm shocked at some of the inflated prices. At, least what I see are examples of something to display on the wall. I'm the type of guy, that wants to take something from that era and make it my own by changing it up to what I want. Yes, there are some that will or may be worth more as is. I guess as long as it shoots, functions safely, I would keep it as is. Otherwise, I'd prefer to build it more custom. Especially now that prices have gone through the roof. But that's just me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It could also be that neither one can be used in it. The 8MM-06 is a wild cat that is made by necking a .30-06 case to 8MM. A.30-06 bullet will rattle down the 8MM bore and an 8MM Mauser cartridge is smaller than the .30-06 case. Take it to a qualified gunsmith and have a chamber cast done so you know exactly what it's chambered for.
Appreciate your input!
Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts