The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have installed a Dakota 3 position safety/timney featherweight trigger on a M98 receiver and followed manufacturers install instructions. Problem is bolt won't cycle in the second safety position, bolt will cam up 90 degrees but won't open to remove bullets, etc, and am totally stumped as to why, safety/bolt work as intended in fire and full safety positions, anybody know how to resolve please? Thanks

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
The dakota safety is a 70 degree conversion, either its off or on. I don't know what the third position you speak of on them. The original has a 3 position. Sounds like you can open the bolt with it off or on, is that what your describing? With the safe on the bolt should not open.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
AFAIK, that safety is designed to work under a low-mounted scope, so it doesn't go through the 180 degrees of the standard safety. As Helix says, there are only two positions, up at a slant and down to the right. I didn't recall that it was even possible to put it in a straight up position.

Jim

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to Dakota's Model 70 style 3-position safety bolt shroud. http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/87...oud-with-3-position-safety-steel-in-the-white
That's the only Mauser safety assembly that Dakota makes as far as I know.
I've never used the Dakota shroud, but it should be similar to the Gentry Custom unit (which is a very good upgrade if you want a Model 70 style safety).

Right off hand I can't think of any way that the safety could be causing the bolt to hang up as described other than that the bottom of the bolt shroud is too fat, causing the bolt to get wedged up against the top of the rails. Hard to tell without seeing the action in person though.
Does the bolt fully rotate open (including the little bit of "camming" action) or is it hanging up just short of the lugs disengaging the action?

I'm thinking the trigger and is a more likely culprit.

The first thing I would do is try each part individually to find out which one is causing the bolt to hang up.
Remove the trigger and cycle the action/safety. Obviously, the cocking piece won't be held back so you shouldn't be able to apply the safety to either position.
Try the new safety/shroud with your previous trigger.
Next, try the trigger with the original bolt shroud & safety lever.

Have you used layout dye (or a sharpie marker) to color all of the surfaces to check for any binding?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bindernut appreciate your reply, I'm thinking the trigger is the culprit too, will apply some layout dye in the morn and see about any binding, have removed the trigger and there's no binding of any kind, don't have a previous trigger didn't come with receiver, if I can't figure out I'll send to my gunsmith, can't believe it's that complicated though. Regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts