The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I was wondering if you guys knew what a ball park value of this model 98 I got from my grandfather. I have no intentions of selling it just kind of interested to see what its worth. Looks to me like every serial number on it matches including the ones on both parts of the stock I didn't see one on the butt plate so not sure if there is supposed to be one there or not. Its a DOT 1944 and it looks to me that on the top of the stock in front of the sight and on the bottom behind the trigger almost to the butt is the word DOT stamped in at least that's what I think it says. Sorry I couldn't get one pic of the whole thing but my workshop is really small and also sorry about any light glare it was either that or pitch black.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does that take away from it at all. I knew it wasn't made by mauser specifically I picked that up from the research I did but wasn't sure what it would really be worth every thing I could find was 98's with mismatched parts.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
dot Beginning ser #3665 Ending ser#7333aw # Mfg. 621959

Something doesn't look right too me. The stock is just too good of condition compared the usual wear on the barrel and action.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
It is a Mauser made in a Mauser factory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so mauser actually did make it then its just the code for the specific factory. The serial fits in that range and I have to admit the stock does look pretty good almost to good all I know is this was my grandpa's baby he loved it you think the stock could be a fake :(

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Looks OK to me. Edges appear still fairly sharp and not rounded from sanding. Finish on inside areas appears the same. My WAG on value is in the $500. range.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Carefully refinished, with care taken to preserve the markings
You have a stamped sheet metal floor plate consistent with late production.rather than a milled one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That I could believe my grandfather loved working with wood though I don't think he had the skill to build a new stock and he wasn't the type to make a forgery I suppose it doesn't mean he couldn't have bought it that way. could that be why the dot markings are so though to read on the stock

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
That I could believe my grandfather loved working with wood though I don't think he had the skill to build a new stock and he wasn't the type to make a forgery I suppose it doesn't mean he couldn't have bought it that way. could that be why the dot markings are so though to read on the stock
I doubt it. Rarely do people refinish the inside areas of a stock. I've owned late war laminated stock 98K's with the same finish. Those laminated hardwood stocks just tend to shine a bit more than Walnut.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry if I misunderstood you but if you mean its really shiny that's probably because theres oil all over it its been sitting for a very very very long time and I had just got done giving it a good cleaning and you probably are seeing the light reflecting off the oil it was extremely dry and dusty

1 - 15 of 15 Posts