The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi,

If you really want a project gun, IMO the Mauser 98 is the way to go. They're easy to rebarrel, easy to restock, lots of trigger choices? If you want to learn gunsmithing, this is the gun to learn on.

Midway Shooting Supplies has an awesome DVD on "How to rebarrel, Tune and Blueprint Military Bolt Action Rifles". This is one great video on how to trick out your Mauser. Richards Micro-fit has lots of different types of stocks for the 98 Mauser on their Bargin page. I've must have gotten close to 20 stocks this way. Every time I get a nice stock, somebody wants it worst than I do. More than half of the stocks I've gotten, somebody has talked me out of.

I have one Mauser 98 I use for testing wildcat cartridges to see if they will work for a varmint rifle I want to build later. I have done 22/6mm Ackley, 243 Ackley, 6mm Ackley, 6.5/06, 308, 300 Win Mag. I'm getting ready to try a 6mm/06 Ackley, 7mm-08, 6.5-284. With the Mauser action, I like to use take-off barrels or those in the budget range to see if that idea will work before I spring for a match barrel. I've found that the 300 Win Mag and 6.5/06 need a longer action for the bullets to be closer to the rifling than in the Mauser.

I've also found that I can adjust the Bold trigger to just under 2 lbs for target shooting. One Mauser I sold to a friend when I had a weak moment, out shot my Custom 338 Lapua Mag at 500 meters last weekend. He hit 18 4" clay birds in a row with a MAUSER!!!!!!! The only reason this shooting streak ended was he ran out of his handloads. This is the first gun I helped him build and it's NOT FOR SALE. I wanted to get Curt into shooting centerfire so I sold him this gun in parts for $10. DUMB move on my part. Now I have to eat a lot of crow. You know that Crow kind of taste like Chicken after awhile?

Catch you later

The Big Dog

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.