The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1939 Mauser that is in good shape. I'm looking to find out as much as possible about this gun that I can. The proof markings on left and right don't seem to match things I've found on line. Aside from knowing more about the specific history of this gun (i.e.: police version, military, or ?), I would like to find a magazine for it within the similar historical setting (time and place, i.e.: Switzerland, Germany, etc.). Any information offered on some of the depicted markings is very helpful. Thank you

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
You might have better luck searching for a magazine, and looking up those proof marks if you call it a "Luger" rather than a Mauser.
;)

·
Super Moderator
42,122 Posts
Thanks for the good pictures. A couple more pictures of the back of the gun (without your hand there) and the front of the gun (the markings under the barrel) sure would be nice to see.

The crown over the "U" is a Mauser commercial proof mark. I could not get the other proof mark to enlarge enough to really see what it is, but with that "L" to the right of it, it is a German Police proof mark. This information came from a small book I have named The Luger Handbook by Aarron Davis.

Any aluminium based or black plastic based magazine (without serial number) would be correct for this gun. A search for "Luger magazines" on eBay, gave me 1472 "hits" even though some of them were not Luger mags.

We do have a real Luger expert that comes in every once in a while by the name "Danny", if he shows up he can correct any wrongs that I might have stated and tell you a lot more!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the good pictures. A couple more pictures of the back of the gun (without your hand there) and the front of the gun (the markings under the barrel) sure would be nice to see.

The crown over the "U" is a Mauser commercial proof mark. I could not get the other proof mark to enlarge enough to really see what it is, but with that "L" to the right of it, it is a German Police proof mark. This information came from a small book I have named The Luger Handbook by Aarron Davis.

Any aluminium based or black plastic based magazine (without serial number) would be correct for this gun. A search for "Luger magazines" on eBay, gave me 1472 "hits" even though some of them were not Luger mags.

We do have a real Luger expert that comes in every once in a while by the name "Danny", if he shows up he can correct any wrongs that I might have stated and tell you a lot more!

Thank you. I will take more pics. And a better picture of the eagle too.

·
Super Moderator
42,122 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts