The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I've been trying to find some info on my red9 but internet isn't helping enough to tell the full story. So I turn to you for help :) I do know that it's a red nine for sure and it's numbers matching on all parts, even on the grips. Serial number is 113062 which falls perfectly in to 1916 contract. It has correct 50-500 sight, am Neckar, new safety, long barrel, 24 grooves on the grip and red 9 etc. It is in full firing condition and I have fired it.

My main question is that how or why is this gun chambered in 7,65 para? I have a hard time believing that this is correct but the cartridge goes in perfectly and it fires correctly. Normal 7,63mm doesn't fit in it (too long) and 9mm is way too large for the barrel. I know that some red9's were chambered in 7,63 due to Versailles peace agreement/terms but just can't find any info on 7,65 para red9. Help?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
42,676 Posts
It sounds to me like someone put some Red 9 grips on a pistol that is NOT 9mm, if it is, as you say, chambered in 7.65.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds to me like someone put some Red 9 grips on a pistol that is NOT 9mm, if it is, as you say, chambered in 7.65.
Hmm yes, but then again it has all the other common red 9 elements as well. The grips have the same serial number as the gun too. And as i said there are 7.63mm Red9's according to the internet; some guns weren't ready yet when the war ended so they had to chamber them in 7.63 because of the Versailles agreement (which banned the use of 9mm). If this was a 7.63 i would accept that as most likely theory but this 7.65 makes me wonder. Also the history of this gun is known to me; i baught it from a war veteran (estate) that used the gun in ww2 and i am quite sure that he didn't change the grips.

·
Super Moderator
42,676 Posts
There used to be a really great website dedicated to everything C96 but alas, it just kind of disappeared a few years ago. I keep it in my favorites, hoping that it will come back someday - C96 Broomhandle Mauser , but so far nothing. I once sent the owner of the site pictures of my Red 9 with the removable magazine attachment, and he included it in his database. Sorry I can't tell you anything about yours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts