The Firearms Forum banner

mauser hsc barrel change

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Ibmikey 
#1 ·
Hello to all members. I'm one of the newbies here and also my first post. I've got 2 mauser HSc
interarms pistols. They are .32 & .380 caliber. They both are basically new. Since the .380 caliber is sometimes noted to have misfire problems and several sources stated the reasons being the gun was originally designed for the .32 ACP , I'm asking if changing the .380 barrel with a .32 caliber would eliminate or help eliminate misfires. I understand from previous posts here that some of them came with both barrels. Excluding barrel choices, are all other parts of the .32 & .380 identical you think. One last thought on a barrel swap concerns the recoil spring. Numrich Gun Parts list only one spring for the Mauser HSc, but Wolf springs states; " 7.65 & 9MM STD recoil spring Pak." I'm a little confused here; would the .380 recoil spring function correctly with the less powerful .32 caliber, or should you swap in a .32 caliber recoil spring ( if there is one). Thanks a bunch for any thoughts on this.

#2 ·
Welcome to the FORUM. Most semi auto's would require a different extractor to accommodate a cartridge with a different rim diameter than the original chambering. The ejector designed for the .380 might work with the .32 ACP. A check in the Midway catalog for aftermarket 1911 ejectors lists the same part number for 9MM, .38 Super and .40 S&W. These have different rim diameters, but use the same part, the HSc may work the same. For the recoil spring, I'd contact a technician at Wolff gunsprings to see what they recommend.

#3 ·
Thanks a bunch for checking into this Twicepop. I'm thinking since there's such a small difference in the.32 and .380 rim diameter that the extractor might have been designed to compensate for that difference. I'll follow your advice and check Wolff to see what they have to say about the springs and get their take on the extractor. I know Numrich list only one extractor for the Mauser HSc. They don't show a separate extractor# for a .32 & .380. I'm hoping maybe the post war mauser hsc extractor was redesigned to accommodate both the .32 & .380 shell because the gun was offered in both calibers. What would we do without Google!. Thanks for your time and response.

#4 ·
Just thought I make an update on the mauser hsc .380 to .32 barrel change. Didn't know if needed to change recoil springs with the .380 to .32 conversion, but Wolf Gun Springs said their hsc springs were for both calibers. Numrich also list only one recoil spring and one extractor, apparently for both .32 & .380 caliber. What I'm thinking now is that the post war hsc probably had some internal modifications done to handle either .32 or .380 chambering. Only thing to do is swap barrels and see what happens; stove pipes or smooth sailing!

#5 ·
I was scrolling through the forum looking for items of interest when I came across your post and thought I would respond since I also have a Mauser HSc .380 from Interarms, ca. 197X, of which I am quite fond. It had worked quite well for me for (OMG - 40 years!!??).

I'm not sure what you mean by "misfire," but I had had a problem with an occasional failure to feed with certain ammunition types (eventually all types). I had occasion to change to a new barrel a couple of years ago myself. I would recommend that you consider polishing the throat of each of your barrels to ensure smooth feeding. Also I checked my magazine springs and found them to have been shortened and bent at some time in the distant past. Recently I had noticed a tendency to fail to feed - the ammunition was not feeding consistently. I got new springs for Wolff Springs and installed them. Since doing that I have had 0 failures with any type of ammunition. Once again I am confident in using this as a carry gun.

#6 ·
The Interarms era HSC had a reputation for feed/ extract problems ( I cannot remember which...maybe both) which seems odd since the wartime pistols did not carry that stigma. As Shoeless indicated a polished feed ramp is a must and most problems of this type are magazine induced so clean and inspect carefully, a mag that cycles by hand may not function properly when fired.
Good luck with your rebarrel, I really like shooting the .32 acp cartridge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.