The Firearms Forum banner

Measuring Headspace

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 ·
As some of you know, I have just completed building a 260 Remington using a Savage Target Action.

My question is on measuring headspace. When I installed the barrel (Criterion) on the Savage Action, I did not remove the Extractor and firing pin while checking headspace.

Do I need to remove the extractor and firing pin and redo the headspace check?

#3 ·
Its very easy to remove/reinstall both parts RC. Remove them both and take a measurement.

#5 · (Edited)
Cup your hand over the bolt face and press outward against the extractor with a punch, it will pop loose and the ball detent and spring will be captured by your hand. Remove the ejector plunger by drifting out the pin on the bolt head that retains it.

replacement is a reversal of removal. Cept with the extractor you will need to press the ball detent down on top of the spring witht he punch so the extractor can clear it as you slide it back over the top. Always keep your hand cupped over it or work with it inside a big freezer bag.

#7 ·
Its really nothing RC. I have removed extractors from savages while laying in the grass with a pocket knife, and reinstalled them just the same. Just watch that detent ball, don't let it go AWOL..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.