Measuring Shotgun Barrels

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/16/02 12:08:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Belgian browning shotgun barrels
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    They call it 32", 30", 28" etc. They measure 31 1/2, 29 1/2 27 1/2. We be havin big discussion whether these are "cut" or thats the way the factory does things. Any input would be helpful bebore we come to .....well y'all know "the rest of the story".

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (5/16/02 4:54:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Belgian browning shotgun barrels
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    where ya b measuring from? I always stick the tape down the barrel and measure from the face of the bolt.
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/16/02 6:19:24 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Belgian browning shotgun barrels
    These are off the gun.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (5/16/02 11:51:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    One of the gunsmith types will know for sure but I am positive it is supposed to be measured from the face of the bolt.
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/17/02 5:15:44 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    It's measured so as to include the chamber. Do not include the barrel extension on an A5 for instance. If the barrel is removed, measure from where the base of the shell fits to the muzzle. If the barrel is not removed, you can measure from the breechface to the muzzle and it should be practically the same measurement.

Your barrels are not cut.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/17/02 9:07:00 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Belgian browning shotgun barrels
    Doc an Piggy thanx for the input. This is what I thot but what does a broken down dubbleclutcher know? I found it hard to believe that 10 pieces different vvintages both on an off the gun would all be "cut" Thanx!