Medical question.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. Nameless, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

I have a quick medical question for any doctors out there. Is it normal for some of your veins to disappear when you run your finger along it. I noticed it a few years ago and didnt think anything of it but then I out on a long sleeve shirt this morning because it was cold and it ran along on of the veins and made me pass out after an hour. Can anyone tell me why this is.

2. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like it could be some kind of issue with reduced blood flow. I would recommend seeing a doctor, especially if it gets worse.

3. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

Veins change over the years, I have noticed huge changes in my veins after dropping about 60 or 70 pounds :eek:. I got these huge ones that pop out of my feet now that I love to poke at when I'm bored... but I digress :rolleyes:.

I think vein changes are normal. Passing out is not. If I read that correctly you passed out, I doubt it has something to do with the shirt rubbing against the vein, it would have to probably have been constricting it pretty good to have been the cause of it.

See the doctor ASAP, passing out is not normal! It may be nothing, may have been a fluke, but better safe than sorry.

I'm not a doctor, but I am a college student so don't I know everything ;). At least that's what they tell me. :cool:

4. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

If I go see a doctor they will probably perscribe medication, and I don't need that.

5. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

Its nice to see how many of you care about my health.

6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Then buy a prepaid funeral for the sake of your family.

This is NOT something to pass off lightly. Get thee hence, NOW.

Pops

7. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Oh heck! Passing out is to normal! I used to go to the bar every night and drink till I passed out! What's not normal is when you see things like spiders when you are cold sober!!! Now that's scarry!

8. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

That's because there are still some decent people who still care about their fellow man. Now for the tongue lashing!
    Do you have people who depend on you? Wife, kids, parents? ...get what I'm saying?
    What you described is NOT normal. Get it checked out for their sake if not for yours! If the doc says take medicine, then take it!!! Not trying to get in your business, but you were concerned enough to post about it, so get it checked, ok? Let us know the results.

9. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

You can pass out from many different things. The chances of it not happening again without going to the Doc are slim. It could happen when you are driving with family in the car. Thats a scenerio I'm sure you'd like to avoid. It could be something simple or it could be something that caught early enough will save you a couple hundred thousand dollars in medical bills.

10. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

I had that attitude as well, and two years ago I very nearly died of kidney failure because I never went to a doctor. Now I have to be hooked to a machine six days a week for the rest of my life. Please see a doctor.

11. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

OK, first of all, it is COMPLETELY NORMAL for veins to change in size, appear and then dissappear, seemingly at random. See, the viens are the passive side of your circulatory system. There is no pump (your heart) directly driving blood through them like there is with arteries. Your hearts work is delivering blood to your cells, and after the cells are done with it, blood flows through your veins back to your heart. Veins are a low pressure system, therefore, they are much more affected by hydration, body temp, and ambient temp, than arteries are. Try this, when you wake up tomorrow morning, drink a liter of water first thing. About an hour or so later, you will notice your veins standing up much more than when you got up. This is also why a phlebotomist will put a tourniquet on your arm before drawing blood...he is pooling the blood in your forearm to make the veins engorge to be easier to hit. Notice when he does this no arteries stand out? They have MUCH thicker, more muscular walls than veins.
    I am much more worried about you passing out...has this happened before? What precipitated your spell? It didnt happen because your shirt was too tight on your arms. Have you been well? Dehydrated? Any chest pain or shortness of breath before you went out? If its the first time this has happened, I would make sure I was well hydrated, and not RUSH to make a doctors appt. Call & get one, but it probably doesnt need to be urgent. If this has happened before, or if you had chest pain, felt your heart racing, or had shortness of breath, then by all means get your azz to the MD.:D

Chris
    PS: May I ask your age? Significant medical history?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  12. lb969

lb969 New Member

Passing out is NOT normal, and you SHOULD go to the doctors. Its likely in no way related to the veins. If you had a problem with blood flow the arm would be cold, discolored, or tingly.

If it fixes the problem, why not?

13. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

I can relate to the medicine thing. I dramatically cut my medicine intake from 3 muscle relaxants (Chronic Tension Headaches), 2 prilosecs (GERD), and 2 provigils (ADD) a day after an accidental overdose on the provigil and now stay fairly clear from medication unless absolutely necessary.

That being said, I skip out on the little things- big things, like passing out, you just have to make the dreaded trip to the doctor!

14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Man, I will add my 2 cents worth too. GO SEE THE DOCTOR!! What is the worst that he can do to you, Send you a bill? I also hated to go to the doctors office, until I had a heart attack and 5 bypasses. I go every 90 days now and don't seem to mind it anymore! GO!!!

15. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

Alright I have an appointment for next week, I'll give yall the results.