Medics in Vietnam

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

oneknight
    (5/7/01 10:43:42 pm)
    | Del All Medics in Vietnam
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What type of formal training did Medics have prior to
    going to Vietnam?

homer4
    (5/8/01 1:28:16 pm)
    | Del Re: Medics in Vietnam
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have know idea...but I'm willing to bet that some of there official training was probably modified for the type of combat situations that were unique to the Nam. "Adaptation to the situation" has a familiar ring to it.
    ...and two hard boiled eggs.

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (5/8/01 1:36:18 pm)
    As a dustoff pilot I was classified as a medic. I'm not sure of the exactness of the real medic's formal training but I can tell you that every pilot assigned to a medical unit during Vietnam had to attend the AMMED course at Fort Sam Houston, Texas. It was an intensive course covering pretty much most all medical aspects with an emphasis on medical trauma. I was surprised at the depth of the course and the relative knowledge gained following the course. Of course, the test really came during the next year in Vietnam. I've said before and say again that the abilities of our medics aboard dustoff helicopters far surpassed my best expectations. And I would have to say in all honesty that the quality of our medics was better than the quality of most Vietnamese doctors and nurses.

gene29223
    (5/9/01 9:06:33 am)
    Second what Dave said above. Most medics were trained as 91A basic combat medic. Twelve weeks of Trauma stabilization, some training concerning basic medical subjects on how to treat simple things that our parents usually handled on their own, classes on jungle rot, how to recognise pneumonia, bronchitis, various VDs. Lots on disease prevention and sanitation. But when all was said and done, it was OJT on the line. The medics learned quickly what worked and didn't. Senior medics (old 91C long course) had more training in the various medical fields of surgery, OB/GYN, psych, peds and so on.

Take care, Gene

homer4
    (5/10/01 6:01:40 pm)
    I have watched the History channel and remember the program that was aired about "Dust Off" and how it had received such thankfullness and praise from all the units in the Nam for saving so many lives.Their willingness to fly into hot LZ's and amidst firefights to reach the wounded.

They also showed the fella who's handle was "Dusty" and who repeatedly would risk his life taking the Medivac choppers in the thick of battle to get to the men. He was later killed on such a mission and his call sign "Dusty" eventually was immortalized as "Dust Off". What a marvelous tribute to a real Hero.

Thanks Dave!
    ...and two hard boiled eggs.

Copr6
    Senior Chief Moderator III
    (5/10/01 6:15:47 pm)
    I too, have watched a documentary on Medics in VN! I just don't think enough good will ever be said.

Edited by: Copr6 at: 5/10/01 7:16:55 pm