The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,422 Posts
Hopefully I can translate; SAI in Trussville, Ala. is the importer.
Merkel Hunting and Sporting weapon, Inc.

'newb, on some of these firearms the proof marks are going to need to be seen. They are on the bottom of the barrel(s), or water table as the number you tried to get a picture of. You might as well learn to take one apart and, it is very simple on break action firearms. On the fore arm, see that lever looking thing? Slip your finger in the recess and pull. The fore arm will come off in your hand, it's supposed to. Set the fore arm aside. Hold the piece as you normally would when carrying it and open the action with the lever. As the action opens hang onto the barrels and let them swing down. As they swing down at some point you simply lift them out of the action. They're supposed to. There won't be any springs or levers or anything to surprise you, it's all very simple and straightforward. There will be a bunch of unintelligible stampings on the bottom of the barrels.....until you learn to read hieroglyphics. They nearly always tell a great deal about the firearm.

Edit: Dopey me....in case you don't figure it out, assembly is in reverse.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully I can translate; SAI in Trussville, Ala. is the importer.
Merkel Hunting and Sporting weapon, Inc.

'newb, on some of these firearms the proof marks are going to need to be seen. They are on the bottom of the barrel(s), or water table as the number you tried to get a picture of. You might as well learn to take one apart and, it is very simple on break action firearms. On the fore arm, see that lever looking thing? Slip your finger in the recess and pull. The fore arm will come off in your hand, it's supposed to. Set the fore arm aside. Hold the piece as you normally would when carrying it and open the action with the lever. As the action opens hang onto the barrels and let them swing down. As they swing down at some point you simply lift them out of the action. They're supposed to. There won't be any springs or levers or anything to surprise you, it's all very simple and straightforward. There will be a bunch of unintelligible stampings on the bottom of the barrels.....until you learn to read hieroglyphics. They nearly always tell a great deal about the firearm.

Edit: Dopey me....in case you don't figure it out, assembly is in reverse.
I have a very large room where all of the guns are and it would take me forever to go back and find each one. After posting most of them, I can go back and do what you said to all of them. It may be awhile because I have 289 more to post. HAHAH

·
Premium Member
12,422 Posts
I didn't mean that particular double, it's new enough proofs won't matter. I meant future ones but, I didn't mention future ones that are older, as in pre-WWII. The older ones are mostly where the proof marks become important.....if you have any older firearms. So far what you've posted is of fairly recent manufacture.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't mean that particular double, it's new enough proofs won't matter. I meant future ones but, I didn't mention future ones that are older, as in pre-WWII. The older ones are mostly where the proof marks become important.....if you have any older firearms. So far what you've posted is of fairly recent manufacture.
I know there are some very old ones... I feel guilty posting this many, so I may only do 20 or so a day. I promise there are some pretty old guys in there. :)

·
Premium Member
12,422 Posts
Those will be my main interest, especially the old German ones. Those will be the ones the proofs will be important....and any old British or Austrian ones as well.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I know there are some very old ones... I feel guilty posting this many, so I may only do 20 or so a day. I promise there are some pretty old guys in there. :)
Guilty? That's like telling a Golden Retriever, that you only have 20lbs of bacon for him every day.:giggle:

·
Premium Member
17,977 Posts
gunnewbie I just hope some evil neighbor doesn't look in your window see this massive stack of guns and call the local men in blue, and you end up on the 6;00 news as a terrorist trying to take over the town. Way too many beautiful guns to end up in police warehouse. Hopefully you have someway of securing them

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gunnewbie I just hope some evil neighbor doesn't look in your window see this massive stack of guns and call the local men in blue, and you end up on the 6;00 news as a terrorist trying to take over the town. Way too many beautiful guns to end up in police warehouse. Hopefully you have someway of securing them
oh... they are very secure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts