The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering when gas checks on lead bullets were first used? I found a lead slug that LOOKS like it has some plastic gas checks inserted in it's 2 grooves. The slug doesn't appear to have any ridges from rifling and the back end seems to have been broken off. The slug miked out at about .45 caliber.

I found it across a dry river bed from a small grove of trees in which I found, at one time, an old .45/90 shell casing and today I found a .40/70 shell casing.
So I guess my question is is this a 20th century slug or 19th?

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
That's an old .45 Colt bullet. It does not have gas checks nor is it broken off. It's a style that both UMC and Winchester used back in the day. It still had the case on it when it was lost. You can see how much cleaner it is from the crimp down.I haven't been metal detecting in many years. I found a lot of neat stuff when I was doing it tho.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it was a complete cartridge when it was dropped? Huh. I thought the bands on it, which are not metallic or don't appear to be, were plastic of some sort so I thought it would probably place it in the 20th century range but the amount of deterioration of the lead on the back end made me wonder.

The area I found it in is on our ranch. It's been an interesting place for some time as I was told that wagons coming through would often stop there to camp. Haven't found any evidence of that yet but the various groves of live oak trees seem to be where I've had the most hits on the detector and it's mostly modern things like pull tabs. Other people I've known have found things in that area. The exact location is within just a few feet of a rock that some old cowboys carved their initials, the date and a very cryptic graphic that we've never been able to decipher. The date was just a few months after the OK Corral incident but that was Arizona and this is Texas. Ol' B. J. Ketchum's stomping grounds to be exact. I'm going to have to find a way to move the rock to a safer location some day soon or the markings are going to wear away to nothing but it's surrounded by live oaks and is well within the range of at least a ton in weight. I'm afraid I'd really damage it if I tried.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I might like to try metal detecting some day. I really like watching videos on youtube of all the war relics found in Europe (though it often looks dangerous when they dig up explosives). What sort of metal detecting machine do you recommend?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might like to try metal detecting some day. I really like watching videos on youtube of all the war relics found in Europe (though it often looks dangerous when they dig up explosives). What sort of metal detecting machine do you recommend?
Honestly my detector is an "El Cheepo" Bounty Hunter by Pioneer EX. I'd like to get another with more discrimination to it since using it on the ranch always turns up tons of wire, nuts, bolts, rusted cans and what have you, even though it says it's discriminating between several different metals, so wasting all that time digging things like that out is frustrating. The problem is that any strong feedback on the loop will always default to the more valuable end of the spectrum.

If you're going to do this, though, I would also get the short stick detectors for going through the dirt piles you bring out for pinpointing whatever is setting your detector off. White's is still a good brand but none are cheap.

Reactions: shootbrownelk
1 - 7 of 7 Posts