Metal Flakes after Shooting?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ColtSon, Feb 10, 2017.

1. ColtSon

ColtSon New Member

Hello all! Sorry for asking a question that im sure must have been asked many times before, but i just got back from the range and when i went to clean my gun i found metal flakes all inside of the gun. I put 200 rounds through it, 50 of them were reloads and the other 150 were the cheap armscor brand factory ammo. This was my first time using reloads and also the first time i used armscor in this gun, and its the first time ive seen anything like this while cleaning a gun. Is this from the gun or is this just from the ammo? Should i be worried?
    P_20170210_194110.jpg P_20170210_194235.jpg P_20170210_194200.jpg P_20170210_194224.jpg

Attached Files:

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

It's hard to see what it is but looks a little like un-burnt powder.

What kind of powder did you use in your reloads?

3. ColtSon

ColtSon New Member

HS-6. Was my first batch of reloads, shot well except for one stovepipe. First malfunction ive had with this gun

BlackEagle and Kweeksdraw like this.
  4. vassago

vassago Well-Known Member Supporting Member

What was the charge and bullet weight?
    Stovepipe may be caused by a low(ish) charge which also would explain the unburnt powder.

To be sure, clean the gun fire the Armscor, check for flakes and if not present shoot your own loads and check for flakes.

BlackEagle and Kweeksdraw like this.
  5. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

From what I can make out, it looks like unburnt powder as well.

firefighter1635 and Kweeksdraw like this.
  6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have zero worries for your gun. I would do what was said above and shoot some factory ammo and check it.

7. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

I suspect the Armscor ammo. I have noticed the same thing after shooting the Armscor ammo in my 22 mag pistol.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  8. ColtSon

ColtSon New Member

Thanks everybody for the replies. My load was 124 Gn Plated bullets with 6 gn of HS-6. Decided to go to the next load in my book which is 6.4, and ill see how those shoot. Ill also try to narrow down whether it was the armscor or the reloads that was causing it. As long as it isnt metal shavings from my gun that is good news lol

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  9. Shanghai

Shanghai Well-Known Member

I've often found lead flakes in my guns after shooting hard cast bullets. Could your bullets be leaving such flakes that are "scraped" off as the bullets enter the barrel grooves. Tinker with the flakes with a needle and you might find they came from the bullets, quite a natural occurrence.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  10. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

If a 1911 is rubbing metal together so significantly to leave visible metal flakes or shavings, it won't be running right, or at all. Looks like Unburnt powder to me as well.

11. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Is it my eyes or is it flakes of brass from the cases?

LDBennett

BlackEagle and Big Mak like this.
  12. ColtSon

ColtSon New Member

My camera kinda turned it a little orangeish/redish, but it definitely looked more like gray or silver flakes in person

BlackEagle and Big Mak like this.
  13. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Do the flakes resemble your powder?

Just a side thought, why not load up 10 rounds of each of the loads you're working up? It would save materials and if a load shows signs of overpressure you won't have to disassemble as many.

14. ColtSon

ColtSon New Member

After looking at my powder yes it does somewhat resemble some of the flakes of powder i use. I also try to test fire atleast 50 since that gives me a good test of that load, more chances for things to go wrong (like the stovepipe) that would indicate problems, and a better understanding of how the load is effecting accuracy. Not to mention that if i had only shot 10 rounds, there wouldnt have been much of a chance for unburnt powder to accumulate and tell me i have a problem.

BlackEagle likes this.