Mexican War

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (4/9/01 9:07:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Mexican War
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK, Obelix, you've done it again. We can't let this be buried.

You know, I never even gave it a THOUGHT that we just saw the "Sesquicentennial" of this war pass uncommemorated!

You're right. WHY?

But then, not too many people know too much about the War of 1812, either, the first war we lost. (OK, TIED...)

My favorite thing to remember is the vision of drunken US Navy officers rowing from ship to ship off Vera Cruz trying their DARNDEST to drink up all the shipboard liquor before midnight, when the new regulations making US Navy ships "dry" (forever!) went into effect...and it all got dumped overboard, except the "medicinal" stuff.

I'm just glad that happened AFTER Scott got ashore...

obelix2
    (4/9/01 9:41:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Mexican War
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You're sure the grogless Navy came that early? I'd always heard that particular piece of villainy laid at the door of Josiah Daniel (correction: Josephus Daniels), Wilson's Secretary of the Navy.

Edited by: obelix2 at: 4/11/01 4:50:49 am

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (4/10/01 12:16:15 pm)
    You may be right...now that I think about it.

I AM sure the Navy was off Vera Cruz at the time, but could it be when they were supporting the "expedition" against Villa? '16 or early '17?

You have to excuse me sometimes OB, I do make mistakes. I sometimes only remember bits and pieces.

My theory is when the brain hits "storage capacity," if you learn something more, something has to be deleted or moved from "active" to "inactive" memory.

Or does that mean I'm getting old...

Maybe I'll learn to think it through someday BEFORE I start pecking...but don't hold your breath.

Thanks for your "tact."

obelix2
    (4/10/01 1:16:23 pm)
    That'd be it. In April 1914, following a lot of hoorah over an insult to the American flag, landing parties from the new dreadnoughts Florida and Utah (the latter, a demilitarized target ship by 1941 was sunk at Pearl Harbor under the impression she was a carrier) seized the customs house at Vera Cruz.

The intent was to prevent German arms from reaching General Huerta, assassin of duly elected President Madero and loathed by the great majority of Mexicans, and perhaps to bring about his downfall. The result was universal outrage, even from Huerta's enemies, against the Yankee invaders, and total (though temporary) national solidarity behind Huerta.