The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It's a real gun, not a tourist piece. Could be a fairly early one with its miquelet lock rather than the flint lock usually seen on these pistols.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Re: Flintlock pistol? No markings.... Any value

There are no markings because it is custom made. There may be an ID somewhere on it in a discreet location but you will have to take it to an antique firearms appraiser for accurate assessment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Flintlock pistol? No markings.... Any value

thank you, I will find an apprasier soon. My wife hopes it has some value to it.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Dont get your hopes up on it. Most guns from that era were custom made as there were no huge firearms factories in place. The only thing that would make it worth alot of money is if you could link it to royalty or a noble family. And only an appraiser with extensive knowledge in middle eastern weaponry would be able to do it. Its just a guessing game for the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Pistols of this kind are not in much collector demand. Depending on what 'a lot of money" means, pistols of its type usually sell from $250 -500. It looks to be a little better than most. Very likely a So. East Europe, Caucasian pistol.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I could be wrong, but the pistol looks like a fake to me. Such arms have been made and sold as antiques in Spain, the middle east and North Africa for over 50 years.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I agree with 45Auto, and I could be wrong, but it looks fake. Mainly, I can't find the frizzen spring and the cock spring setup looks wrong. It looks like parts sort of thrown on the lockplate. The trigger and trigger guard look more like something from a Webley revolver than from an antique flintlock.

It is not as crude as some of the decorator pistols (where the whole lock is cast in one piece), but I don't think it is or ever was a functional pistol.

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im not sure if i can go with it being a fake, It has been fired the touch hole and the bore smell of gunpowder and there is residue of gunpowder. The pistol has high signs of age to it. Showing by picture sometimes dosnt help unless they are truely accurate

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Before we get carried away condemning the man's gun as a fake, have a look at the several high dollar miq lock pistols on collectorsfirearms.com. They are listed under flintlocks. Very good close-up pix of the locks. The miq lock mainspring pushes up on the tail of the bottom of the cock and the frizzen spring is concealed in all of them.

The gun is real, crude and not worth a lot of money, like the pieces of art in ref above. Very typical of several I have worked on for clients. I offered Antiqueguns88 something a bit over my low number above in a PM.

I'm prompted to add that we tend to compare things with known standards and pieces we are used to. Could have cost me dearly 50 years ago, almost. In London I was offered a crude looking big pistol the seller claimed dated from the 1640s. It looked Arabic to me and for the 30 bucks I passed. It was a real english lock pistol that then was worth couple thousand and now almost priceless. It was a case where my ignorance saved me. It turned out to be a pistol stolen from the famous Littlecote House collection - that got confiscated from the dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts