The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an e-mail from Midway USA about "Federal AutoMatch Target Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose Box of 325" is in stock. So, I went over to their site and put the maximum order amount in the cart. One Box. Then headed to check out.

It was:
$14.29 for the box
3.00 Special Handling
17.00 and change for the shipping

Total: $34.00 plus.

Did I buy it? I think not.

·
Super Moderator
28,120 Posts
Good for you. $20.00 for shipping and handling? I wish more people would take that same approach, maybe we'd start seeing more on the shelves in local stores.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Was only $15. 43 shipping i believe when i went to check out. That was right before i hit the back button. I was trying to order a couple of other things also, but i just cancelled the order instead.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Interesting, I have noticed Midway is always a little over the top on shipping, particularly when the price on the recieved package USPS label reflects a lower price than what you pay. :confused:

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I cant remember exactly, but I believe anything over $25 is a LOT cheaper shipping.
I havent made an order from Midway as of late, but I usually make sure it's over
25 bucks on an order.

·
TFFWPP President
13,897 Posts
I just walked 3 blocks to Scheels and bought 3 boxes. no shipping

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
buying single boxes of ammo at a time is always gonna be a deal breaker on shipping.

same with buying 1 box of primers.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I picked up three boxes of that ammo, at Wally World, the other day, $14something a box. I just happened to be there when a truck came in. They got three cases of it.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
i walked into wm last night. they had ammo come in. more boxes of win white box 12g bird shot, and a single lonely box of 5.5$ 762x39 wolf.

I gave the wolf a new home. wish they would have had my '3' box limit. ;)

·
TFFWPP President
13,897 Posts
Scheels had them for $17/box

I walked into Ace Hardware the other day, they had CCI minimag HPs for $9/100. I bought 3 even though they have a 500 round limit. last night after telling T2S about it they still had plenty. I just got one. No use in being greedy. the only thing I have that likes them is my 10-22.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
MidwayUSA is my preferred vendor. Yes, shipping can be a bit high - but it's FAST! I just got one order in four days from when I ordered it. Have another order on the way.
For awhile they were bogged down, but the logjam has cleared. But I have not ordered ammo from them - oops, I tell a lie, I did order two boxes of Winchester Dynapoint .22LR before the recent ammo troubles. Hope they get it in again, without a box limit. Ordered with other items, the shipping cost is spread out and easier to justify.
I also use other vendors, but I do like MidwayUSA.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I ordered a box of Automatch and a couple other items I needed. By doing that the shipping wasn't too bad. Received the items in 2 days.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I too find their shipping charges out of line. Maybe It's where I live, but the shipping times are also excessive. Don't think I've ever received an order in less than five and usually it's 7 - 10 days. They use the UPS/USPS method where UPS ships the item to a post office and the USPS delivers it to the address. The delay is with the USPS. It almost always takes three or four days from the time they receive it until it is delivered.

Because of that Midway is the last place I look for what ever I need. Amazon is first followed by Midsouth, then any of several other on-line stores and finally if none of those have what I'm looking for I'll try Midway.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I dont worry too much about shipping costs. I look at it a couple ways. One-I don't have to go out and get it myself. Two- Im not charged on taxes. Three- I get what I want and don't have to settle for what is at the store.

People want to complain of high shipping- it's in our nature. With the price of fuel going up, the price of everything else does too. Midway has been nothing but a good experience for me, and if what you're ordering permits it, Midway gives the most options for shipping that I have seen from anywhere else.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
I too find their shipping charges out of line. Maybe It's where I live, but the shipping times are also excessive. Don't think I've ever received an order in less than five and usually it's 7 - 10 days. They use the UPS/USPS method where UPS ships the item to a post office and the USPS delivers it to the address. The delay is with the USPS. It almost always takes three or four days from the time they receive it until it is delivered.

Because of that Midway is the last place I look for what ever I need. Amazon is first followed by Midsouth, then any of several other on-line stores and finally if none of those have what I'm looking for I'll try Midway.
have you looked at order times and days.

I've noticed that WHEN you order, ( time of day ) and what day it is, and where you are makes a big difference.

In my local area, there is no fedex or ups priority service. also no saturday delivery except for red/saturday.. and I've never been able to fget that. so it's probably not available in our area either.. ) IE.. no such thing as 10-noon priority overnight.. only regular 'red' ( it's a location thing. we are a small town.. low population..e tc ). Many of the shippers have a cutoff time as well. lots of palces, if you don't have an order in by 2pm, it won't go out in there late mail or ups pickup. and if it is a 2 day or nexd day.. many places have a noon or 10am cutoff... not that they tell you this.. but I've worked in large shipping departments for mylti national co's and there were plenty of deadlines and cutoff times for orders we picked and shipped depending on the shipper.. etc.

then look at day of week. if you order on say.. a friday.. and ask for 2 day. and you get the order in after the cutoff time.. that order may not even be picked up until monday.. then you start the timer.. IE.. wed or thursday might be normal. that's 1 day shy of a calander week looking at worst case. and 2 day at best for a latish friday order to certain areas.

i'm sure in large population areas it is much different. If I want something the same week.. I need to order it monday 2nd day minimum.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts