Might get a .357 mag

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Mr. Nameless, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

I am thinking about getting a Taurus Model 66 Revolver, .357 Magnum, 6" Barrel, 7 Rounds, Rubber Grips, Blue Finish. waiting for the woman to contact me, the specifications are as listed:

Taurus model 66 revolver
    .357 Magnum caliber
    6" barrel
    5 grooves
    1:16" twist
    7 round capacity
    Transfer bar safety
    Single/double-action
    Fixed front & adjustable rear sights
    Rubber grips
    Blue steel frame
    12-1/4" overall length
    5.68" tall
    1.496" wide
    40 oz.

2. rockntractor

rockntractor Former Guest

sold one today good gun before you buy it look at a smith&wesson 626 it would be hard for me to ever part with mine.i shoot mostly big bore i bought it because i wanted a plinking pistol. i have a bushnell red dot on mine. at 150 yards i can shoot a 12" group with 110 gr remington hollow points loaded hot. not bad for me at that distance. 50 yards 3". 100 yards 6". the taurus came close but it had a 4" barrel. the feel of the smith and the machining was superior.

3. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

I have a Taurus Model 669 (blue 6") and like it a lot, but if I were getting my first .357 it'd definitely be a Ruger GP100. Tank-tough -- you can shoot it forever and it won't flinch or complain.

4. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Amen to that ! I love my GP-100. I usually load my rounds kind of light, but if I want to shoot 50 rounds of hunting velocity ammo loaded with WW296 through my GP I feel comfortable doing so. I love my 686 as well, but I baby it more than I do my GP.

5. ronrrm

ronrrm New Member

I've got a Taurus 627 in Stainless and a GP100 blued; I love them both, the GP is setup with lighter trigger for competition. The 627 gets more attention at the range with the ported barrel (we call it the flame thrower), and is generally a little easier on the wrist even with hot loads. I've shot the 66, but its so heavy...other than that a good choice. I do like the bright stainless finish vs. the duller stainless on my 627.

Good luck with choosing, it took me months to decide; then I just bought both of them...

Now on to buying a 1911...

ron

6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Mr. Nameless, I love mine. I don't think you could go wrong with it. I hear alot of people bashing Taurus' but I have never had any problems with their revolvers

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  7. StrikerOSX

StrikerOSX New Member

New to the forum here so hello.

I have four Taurus revolvers, all of them have been relaible solid shooters. I also have a GP-100, and I would recommend that as your first .357.