Might scratch an itch

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by sharps4590, Jan 13, 2018.

1. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

On another board there's been some conversation about an old rim fire rolling block. I had a Pedersoli repro of a #1 RB in 45-70 some 30 years ago...not much of a rifle back then, in my opinion. I guess they were still figuring out American rifles. Anyway, that conversation prodded me into looking for a real one. I've been sort of lusting for a Swede in 12.7 X 44 but every time Simpsons got in a batch someone would buy all the goods ones before I would see them and those offered on the gun auction sites are too high. Found this one yesterday in 8 X 58RD...not a 12.7 but a good cartridge in its own right. Gonna call today and try to learn how "good" the bore is. It might come to live at my house....:D

https://www.simpsonltd.com/products/z36318

Kweeksdraw, BlackEagle, Broot and 6 others like this.
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

That's nice :).

dbcooper likes this.

3. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Looks like a good gun at a good price.

maddog3355 and joe45c like this.
  4. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Keep us informed.

5. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Hopefully the bore is in nice enough condition that we get to read a range report after you get the load dialed in. :)

One of these days if I live long enough I'd like to find a cheap one with a good action and bad barrel and stock, it would give me a good excuse to make a barrel and do some whittling.

dbcooper and joe45c like this.
  6. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member

It looks good in the pictures. Was it built under contract as it differs a bit from a standard Remington. I would bet the bore is good as they tended to take much better care of guns then we did.

7. sharps4590

OG, I'm not all that informed on the various RB's however, I think the Swede and Danish RB's were made over there as you mentioned, under contract. I want to say Husqvarna made them. I've been doing some reading on them and if what I read is correct when they changed from the 12.7 X 44R to the 8 X 58RD they replaced the pins, breech block and I think hammer with either harder steel or re-hardened them as well as re-hardening the receivers. I also think that one is a sporterized military rifle as most of those were. I have yet to learn if Husky marketed a sporter on its own.

Some of the posts I've read about the rifle and cartridge on other sites show some impressive groups for a 130+ yr. old rifle. 'Bout time to call Simpsons!!!

Edit: It's on the way...:D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    The_Doctor, maddog3355, Broot and 4 others like this.
  8. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks Sharps, never heard of these guys before and it looks like I could lose several paychecks here. ;):p

joe45c and Grizzley1 like this.
  9. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

Welcome to the 8x58 RD rolling block club.
    The official designation of your rifle is " Model 1867/89 Swedish Sporter ". ( designated by the Swedish government and not me :))
    The 8x58rd is a good smokeless cartridge.

At $295 if the barrel is any good , you got a good deal.
    Don't worry if either the hammer or the breach block may have a different serial number on one of the two parts because it is very common on this model. My hammer has a different number than the breach block , while my friend has a mismatched breach block. I think this happened to many of the rifles when they were stripped down for re-heat treating turning the rifles from Model 1867 to 1889. Hense that is why they are called Model 1867/89.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Grizzley1 and joe45c like this.
  10. FRED J. WAHL

FRED J. WAHL Well-Known Member

Kissimmee, Florida in Winter, N.E. PA in summer
    Is good quality brass still available, or constructible from other cases? That caliber doesn't ring a familiarity bell--

joe45c likes this.
  11. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

Cases are normally made from 45-70 or 45-90 brass.
    I make mine from 45-70. They are a tiny bit short. Depending on the rifle , the rim has to be turned down usually 5 or 10 thou.

Attached Files:

joe45c likes this.
  12. sharps4590

Firpo, this is the 3rd or 4th rifle I've bought from them and they've been excellent to deal with. Galesburg, Illinois is about 4 hours from me and locally several "gun guys" have driven over to see their collection of militaria. According to my gunsmith, he's a Luger guy, it's worth the trip. Rumor is it's the largest Luger collection in the US.

gr, I really wanted a 12.7 X 44R but all the ones they have are pretty rough, soooo...this 8 X 58RD is coming. I specifically asked about the bore and was told "sharp lands with light pitting throughout". Well...not pristine as I'd hoped but I have other "lightly pitted" barrels in old rifles that shoot quite well so, as you mentioned, at that price I thought it was worth a look. Simpsons has never told me wrong before and so far our definitions have matched. As subjective as descriptions are I'm mildly confident. I appreciate your comments about "numbers matching". Being former military rifles I wasn't very concerned about it, that stuff happens. I see you're using CH-4D dies. Have they been acceptable for your rifle? I have several sets of Dave's dies and they been as good, if not better, than anything else out there. Only problem I ever had was on my 9 X 71 Peterlongo and it wasn't their fault. It was a neck sizing issue they had no way of knowing as Dave told me he made the dies from a drawing. I sent them a couple fired cases and they made me a correct sizing die and gave it to me. I tried to pay them for it but they were having none of it.

There's a lengthy thread on castboolits that covers the cartridge quite thoroughly. That thread has been going on for 10 years. One fella mentioned using 8 X 56R Hungarian brass, I think, and as with the 45-70 it was a bit short. I have a box each of 45-90 and 45-100 I might be willing to sacrifice for it, providing the rifle is acceptable. Another fella is using 7.62 X 54 Russian and it too is short. I didn't see anything in the thread about loads or forming brass that put me off the cartridge. Can't possibly require any more work than the 10.5 X 47R or 9 X 71 Peterlongo and I did both of them.

Fred, I want to remember that in the castboolit thread mentioned one poster saying Bertram offered the brass for the 8 X 58RD but as with all things Bertram it is expensive. I haven't checked Bertram to see if they offer it. I have bought Bertram brass, out of desperation. The 40-82 WCF I bought had to have the necks turned for my rifle. The rest of it has been ok. I thought a bit sloppy but it worked and after some tinkering was acceptable.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Firpo, BlackEagle and joe45c like this.
  13. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

very sweet

joe45c likes this.
  14. sharps4590

I hope so db. Simpsons is closed today and Monday so it won't go out until Tuesday or Wednesday. As it's an antique it will come straight to me so I hope to know by next weekend. If it's acceptable I have an 8mm, gas checked, 200 gr., bore riding, Accurate mold I really like though it may be a bit short. From what I understand 220 gr. + might be more desirable as those rifles apparently have a long throat. gr can perhaps speak to that for us. If it's a keeper then gathering material and supplies to form the brass and load for it begins.

joe45c likes this.
  15. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

I am using 175gr gas checked ( should have bought 200-225 gr molds) with a dia of 324. I suggest that you slug the bore as I have heard of different bore sizes from 323 all the way up to 328.
    With the chad dies , for me it is a single pass for forming the case.(pretty easy ,but you get sore arms after 50 or so cases :) )
    Hint. Use a shell holder made for this cartridge and not for the 45-70 when forming the cases. A|l so turn down the rims before you form.