Military 7.62mm NATO versus 308 Winchester round

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by clumdsum, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Krong of Belsnarf

Krong of Belsnarf Member

Unless you really want to press the limits, you can make some very serviceable ammo by using 4895 powder (nothing faster than 3031 and nothing slower than 4064) with 150 grain bullets and loading to around 2,600-2,700 f/s. I shoot these types of loads in a variety of rifles with no problems and pleasing results.

2. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Well-Known Member

Yes, that is the standard consideration.

Gideon likes this.

3. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman Well-Known Member

I have 3 30-06s, I keep my brass separated from each, they all have different headspace.

4. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Seem's to me a terribly simple fix for all this. If you have a 308, don't buy military brass. If you have a military 308, don't buy commercial brass. This is a really simple deal and sounds like some want to make rocket science out of it.

GUNUTS, jim brady and gdmoody like this.
  5. Firedog

Firedog Well-Known Member

Oh, no we dont need elon musk involved:D:D

6. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I still reload for 2 7.62X51s - the Israeli 98k and my last M1A. I'm not too picky about feeding the 98k, but my *baby* (the M1A) ONLY gets fed quality M-80 and Match M-118. Never feed a decent M1A trash ammo. (I think that was on the 3rd stone tablet that Moses dropped that listed the Eleventh Commandment)

Firedog likes this.
  7. sgtsandman

sgtsandman New Member

Yes and no. A classic firearm chambered in 7.62X51, I would tread carefully looking for over pressure signs in the spent cartridges and starting low when reloading. In a newer firearm, they would take into consideration that someone is going to chamber .308 Winchester into the firearm and either build it more robust or actually ream it for a .308 and call it a 7.62X51 NATO. My MVP Patrol has a medium bull barrel in her and actually shoots .308 better than 7.62X51 with no signs of over pressure on the cartridge or primer.

Gideon likes this.
  8. Boon

Boon New Member

all military brass is thicker and should be reloaded differently, older re-loaders found this out with 303 brit, 30-06, etc... also, all older rifles should have their head-space checked. sometimes different brass is required for semi-auto rifles. This is stuff that has been hashed and re hashed for years. even brass from the same manufacture can change from lot to lot, bottom line always check case capacity and always start with lower pressure loads. I have loaded a lot of mil spec brass in several different calibers with only one issue and it was when young and didn't change my load data for a new lot of mil 30-06 brass. If you are careful you can reload for anything, if you are going to buy already loaded ammo, as stated it becomes a little bit different depending on what your shooting.