MILK or the facsimile thereof

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

hope6970
    (5/7/01 11:33:47 pm)
    | Del All MILK or the facsimile thereof
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Does anyone remember the brand of the milk that we would get to drink in Nam? Was it by Foremost or something llike that? That stuff was bad!

homer4
    (5/8/01 5:47:03 am)
    | Del Re: MILK or the facsimile thereof
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Can't remember any brand names,but we had the powdered stuff out in the villes and small Ruff Puff compounds,along with powdered eggs too.

We could drink the fresh goats milk and buy an egg here and there...here and there cause the scrawny egg laying chickens were at a real premium.
    ...and two hard boiled eggs.

Misterstan
    (5/8/01 7:55:50 am)
    Hope,

Having been raised on a diary farm too, I don't know how anyone could survive without a nice cold glass of milk.

On our ship, they had a large cooler that would hold two cardboard containers with a clear plastic lining. One would usually be milk and the other was some kind of tea.

There would be a white tube that would dispense the milk or tea when you lifted the heavy handle just like you see today in some all-you-can-eat restaurants.

I thought the milk tasted very good. However, sometimes we would not be able to get milk for weeks at a time.

Stan Lambert
    St. Clair Shores, Michigan

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (5/8/01 9:57:19 am)
    Wait a minute, Stan.......I've got to blot some of the tears away.......lol. The only milk that I saw during my tour {67-68} was powdered or reconstituted milk, just like the powdered eggs that Homer spoke of. With the milk, the water they used was potable but just barely I'm sure. With all the chlorine and other crap they used to "purify" the water it plain tasted like sh*%. Putting powder in it simply made it taste like sort of milky sh$%. No other words to describe it........that's why we drank lots and lots of beer.

Edited by: Indybear57 at: 5/8/01 1:07:06 pm

hope6970
    (5/8/01 12:44:25 pm)
    Stan,

I believe you have got yourself in a jam here. The truth is now slowly coming out about some of you Navy guys.

I would like to know if this milk tasted anything like Dave has related here? That milk that we had in the mess halls sure did not taste like anything that could have possibly come out of a restaurant here at home. If it had the health department I am sure would have closed it down without delay.

Hope

homer4
    (5/8/01 1:51:55 pm)
    There was a detachment of Navals at one end of the compound at Sa Dec and I remember talking to a few once and awhile... found out them rascals always were eatin good.Beef and pork,lots of vegetables and fruit too.If I was a little smarter back then...I should have tried to make some close friends.

Hey Chief,Stan and Geno...did you sport the beards I occasionaly seen?

longshot1
    (5/8/01 8:59:35 pm)

You Got Milk?????????????

NickG

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (5/9/01 9:47:57 am)
    We used to land on the fantail of I believe LST's in the delta.........to either pick up or drop off casualties. Once in awhile we'd stop for a minute and grab some chow. From my perspective, atleast, you navy guys lived in another life and world from mine that year......linen, milk, eggs, steak, airconditioning, and comfort...atleast aboard that tub.

homer4
    (5/10/01 6:14:12 pm)
    How many remember the C-Rats of the lima beans,ham and that tomato sauce mix...Yeck! Beans and Mother...! Even if it was ever to be made palatable by the Grand Thinkers...why make it possible to fart while out in a night laeger.Good grief.

Thought the peanut butter(once the peanut oil that would form on top sometimes was remixed)and crackers weren't bad...did get a little thirsty tho.

The gum was always good!