The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 186 series Mini-14 that from day one had issues running rounds with promag magazines, but shoots fine with factory mags.

I know of a few more folks that have this same issue.

I was wondering who has success with after-market mags in the earlier series rifles?

Has anyone had any luck tweaking the Promag steel mags to run reliably?

I love this gun, but it is one of the few mag-fed weapons I have, or have had, that sucks with aftermarket mags.

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts
I haven’t heard anything good about aftermarket Mini 14 mags. I was fortunate to stumble upon a pawn shop that is really a gun shop that had several factory Ruger mags which gives me 8-10 which will be plenty for my needs. That may be a good place to search.

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
I went with factory mags after reading the terrible reviews of promos and others. Though more expensive, I viewed it as a one time expense and the peace of mind was worth it.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Factory mags or disappointment....I know 3 NFA dealers that won't touch a Ruger product after talking to Bill Ruger and his ridiculous opinion of hi-cap mags...

·
Super Moderator
44,807 Posts
It's been a loooong time since I owned a Mini-14 so I don't remember. I do know that I had the same kind of problems with the M1A I owned a few years ago. Springfield mags were quite expensive, but aftermarket mags just would not feed!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have a target model mini 14. I tried one aftermarket mag and it failed to feed. Mini 14's are notorious for only excepting factory mags. I bought an extra factory mag at a gun show years ago and it works perfectly. Spend the money on factory mags and you will never have to worry about a failure.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Aftermarket Mini 14 magazines usually need a little tweaking of the feed lips with a pair of skinny needle nose pliers.
I've got some John Mason brand magazines that would hang up now and then but now work just fine after I took the pliers to them.
Get some dummy rounds (snap caps) and load a few into the magazine.
Insert the magazine with the bolt locked back then chamber a "round" while riding the bolt handle to watch how the "round" is moving toward the chamber.
The "round" should be heading right to the center of the chamber. If it's going high, slightly bend the lip down. If it's going low, bent the lip up.
Use the pliers length wise along the feed lips and bend just a little at a time.
Sometimes only one lip needs adjusting, sometimes both need it, so make sure to check with "rounds" feeding from both sides of the magazine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Tapco gen II (NOT gen I) 5.56 mags work fine for my .300bo Mini.
And when you can find em, once in a blue moon CDNN will get in some Original Equipment brand Ruger Mini mags. NOT factory, the company that makes them is called Original Equipment, they make 1911 mags too.
The OE mags are available in 10s, 20s & 30s and IMHO have better welds than some factory Ruger mags I’ve seen. OEs are CHEAP, less than half the msrp of Rugers.
The OEs do come with the old style followers, never gave me any trouble but if you want, Midway USA regularly gets in the new style followers for cheap.
Some swear the OE 30s run better than factory 30s. I just run 20s and a few 10s for bench work.

Forgot to add, the gen IIs were only out for a year before Tapco went out of business. Someone bought em out and were supposed to start making furniture & mags again but no word if that included Mini mags. Gen IIs have metal reinforcement up front, I don’t think the gen I did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts